Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlefeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2010
I have a PowerMac G4 AGP graphics with a 450 MHz single processor, a second internal Seagate Barracuda 120GB Hard drive and 1.2 GB of RAM.

I'm wanting to run OS 9,2.2 on one drive and OS X Tiger on the other

I have my eye on the LaCie DVD-RW firewire drive designed by RA Porche. The LaCie data sheet specifies a minimum G4 500Mhz processor for compatibility. Does any one know whether my 450 Mhz processor will work? If no, can anyone recommend a DVD RW firewire external drive, or failing that, an external, firewire CD RW drive that I can add to my kit?

Cheers in anticipation of some knowlegeable support

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Surely it would just be simpler to add a IDE DVD-RW inside the computer. However, I would be surprised if it refused to work purely based on CPU speed (and you can always use Leopard Assist to convince your Mac its actually 933Mhz). I have a 450 AGP machine, and I use SoundTrack Pro 1.0 on it (which "requires" 500Mhz, but seems happy enough).

Id be wary though as DVD burns take forever and a day on mine (Even with a 16x DVD +/-RW internal - grrrr)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.