Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
It would make sense... instead of the feminine ipad..

you have your ipod nana, your ipod classic, and your ipod touch... well, just change the ipod touch to just the ipod (get rid of the touch name portion of it)..

now you have your imac, iphone, ipod, and itouch

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
They wouldn't do this due to how much the current iPod Touch series has been given the misnomer of 'iTouch,' by the general uninformed population.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
naaa, all the trek geeks want a *pad :)

padds.jpg

*padd

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
naaa, all the trek geeks want a *pad :)

I remember when PDA's starting becoming popular I was all abuzz. "Dude! PDA! PADD!" Hell I think 2 of the 3 letters of the anagrams stand for the same word in both!

Yeah, I've always dreamed of carrying a PADD around tapping away like a woodpecker, it's the 21st century and we do that every day with our iPhones and I gotta say, my expectations were toooo high. I imagined "If I had a PADD I'd be typing away all day and looking things up and managing files" until reality struck XD

Yeah, real life is so much more boring, unlike the computers on TV that bleep and bloop assuringly with each action and display blinking warning text like "MATCH CONFIRMED" or "ACCESS GRANTED".

Refer to: The Lawnmower Man

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Because the people who call their iPod touch "iTouch" can falsely boast that they have an iTouch.

gr8ful

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
I don't think iTouch is too far off base. The iPod Touch has evolved and outgrown its iPod label. I can see Apple drop iPod from the name and make it the little brother to the new line of touch tablets.

So I can see "touch" in the name --- iTouch, Touch Pad, Touch Tablet, Touch Slate, Touch Book, Touch Mac, etc. I like Mac Touch (Mac Pro, MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Touch) even though it sounds like McDonald's next offering. :D

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Forgive the strap line -
copyofitouch2.jpg

Reminds me of a thread back in 2007 (about ultraportables). (Props to kontheur for the graphic for that thread shown above.)

Isn't the iTouch too close to the iPod Touch? Seems iPad is preferred (though close to iPod).

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
Because quite frankly, it's an awful name. Everytime I hear the word iTouch, I cringe. I'm sure people at apple agree with me. I believe that people who like the names such as 'iTouch' and 'MacTab' are very misguided.

I agree what you said they need to come out with a name that is fresh and new but It will probably start with a " I " that's for sure

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
Lol, I thought of the worst possible name for the Apple Tablet: The Abblet.

LOL. I laughed out loud. :D

I don't think iTouch is too far off base. The iPod Touch has evolved and outgrown its iPod label. I can see Apple drop iPod from the name and make it the little brother to the new line of touch tablets.

So I can see "touch" in the name --- iTouch, Touch Pad, Touch Tablet, Touch Slate, Touch Book, Touch Mac, etc. I like Mac Touch (Mac Pro, MacBook, Mac mini, Mac Touch) even though it sounds like McDonald's next offering. :D

I'm on board with this one - from a marketing standpoint, if they want to market it as a computer (already a big "if", as it seems it might be marketed more like a giant iPhone/iPod Touch) then they'll throw the name in line with their computer brands. Good guess!

robfromabove

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Why not call it the iTouch? Because it would flat out cause too much confusion with the iPod Touch (as if they aren't used interchangeably enough, and I'm one of those people that makes it a point to correct someone if they call it an iTouch)

Example: "Mommy, I want an iPod Touch for Christmas!"
Mom goes to Apple Store; "Hello, I need an iTouch for my son"

You get the point.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Forgive the strap line -
copyofitouch2.jpg

Reminds me of a thread back in 2007 (about ultraportables). (Props to kontheur for the graphic for that thread shown above.)

Isn't the iTouch too close to the iPod Touch? Seems iPad is preferred (though close to iPod).

How do you touch-type on that? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.