Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raul Luna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Hello everyone I have a problem with the MBA(First generation), yesterday afternoon delete all information of the MBA this to have clean system since the person that I it sold had too much information that I do not interested me so I provided a dvd of OS X 10.5 to do so, the surprise was when discovery that I can install it again, this operation achieved with a usb external recorder.

now I just need to know that another way I can do that because I know that the MBA needs a special operating system for the.

What other operating system may in this MBA?:confused:

Perhaps snow leopard can in this laptop?:confused:

any way to do this with any usb memory?:confused:

from already thank?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
The original MBA disc has a program on it that will allow you to use the optical drive of another mac (over a network) as an optical drive for the Air.

Raul Luna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you and another question

The original MBA disc has a program on it that will allow you to use the optical drive of another mac (over a network) as an optical drive for the Air.

You mean the utility of sharing DVD, already try the problem is that the DVD´s I possess (installation and applications) are provided from a friend that has a macbook pro and install give me an ad that says:

This software cannot be installed on this mac

one of my questions was whether snow leopard has this utility to load the OS network and works in this macbook air (first generation)

it if this is possible will have to buy the DVDs of snow leopard and make it work!

But I do not wish to make an unnecessary if the OS fails in this MBA expense!

Miss add that I do not have the DVD that comes with the MBA because the person that I the sold not gave me the DVD because it had lost:(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can use an 8gb flash drive, put snow leopard on it and install from that.

Raul Luna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
do so easy?

You can use an 8gb flash drive, put snow leopard on it and install from that.

do so easy? only copy snow leopard to a 8 gb usb? What if I do it from another mac will have to insert the disc of snow leopard and drag the mounted image onto the usb? or if I do it from a pc with windows? I have both as well as 8 gb single memory to borrow or buy snow leopard.

from already thank you

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Instead of me having to write out the instructions, just follow these:
http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/02/inst...or-how-to-upgrade-to-106-without-a-dvd-drive/

Basically this should be done on another computer with OS X.

If that option is not possible, do you have an Apple store nearby? They will lend you an optical drive for this operation. Finally even if they can't lend you anything, just buy a new drive and return it after you are done with it.

Now if there is no Apple store nearby and you have no access to another Mac with an optical drive, then you will need to buy an external USB optical drive (doesn't have to be Apple branded…)

Raul Luna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Tanks

Thank you to everyone I could install the Snow leopard on my MBA without any problem with network with application sharing DVD is really only easy insert the snow leopard in the reader a machine with windows and appeared an advertisement to install a software for OS X install network

you turn on the MBA by pressing option, choose the network, you connect and immediately appears as if by magic:eek: disk installation, thank you all again:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.