Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

085730-aperture3.jpg
Apple today announced the release of Aperture 3, adding over 200 new features to the company's professional photo editing and management application. The updated version includes the Faces and Places tagging features introduced in iPhoto last year, as well as a new feature called Brushes for making painting image adjustments to photos. Also included are Adjustment Presets, which offer one-click options for applying specific styles or looks to entire images."Millions of people love using iPhoto to organize, edit and share their digital photos," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Aperture 3 is designed for both professionals who edit and manage massive libraries of photos and iPhoto users who want to take their photos further with easy-to-use tools such as Brushes and Adjustment Presets."Aperture 3, which runs as a 64-bit application on Intel Core 2 Duo Macs running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, is available for a suggested retail price of $199, with existing Aperture users able to upgrade for $99. A downloadable 30-day trial is also available.

Article Link: Apple Releases Aperture 3 With Faces and Places Tagging Features

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Is it me, or is the relationship between Apple and Adobe really starting to sour..Apature 5 will probably be a raw workflow tool+photoshop.

stujmac26

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
If you're using Aperture you shouldn't have a need for Faces :-(

Why not? Faces in iPhoto was hideously overwhelmed by my Aperture library and became unusable.

I have some pro kit, so I want to use Aperture. At the same time, I am compiling albums for my friends' 30th birthdays and so Faces is an absolute godsend for very quickly sorting through old photos.

So I for one (and I may be alone) am excited about this! :cool:

greg400

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2009
I'm still waiting for a consumer photo editor to be included in iLife. I'm getting pretty sick of Gimp and Pixelmator.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Awesome. Definite purchase. I hope the adjustment presets can be shared with other people.

Now where's the MacBook Pro I need. ;)

EDIT: It looks like you CAN share presets, from Apple's "what's new in Aperture 3":

You can also import adjustment presets created by other Aperture users or export your own to share.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Awesome. As I finally moved my production machine to Snow Leopard and installing apps, I came to Aperture and thought "I wonder when 3 will be here." It is a good day :D

Now I just hope they made the "Aperture Library" compatible with PHD, I won't hold my breath though.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Awesome. I'm really excited for this release. I'll be picking this up in the next few months, for sure.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I wonder what effect this will have on lightroom.

It might stop some of the people tired of Aperture's slow update cycle from jumping to LR, but if you ignore Faces and Places (neither are much use to me) this update only brings the application in-line with LR2, and LR3 is due soon...

S_S

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2003
Great for photo enthusiasts...

I'm really excited about these additions. I want to use Aperture all the time to take advantage of it's improved RAW and retouching capabilities in relation to iPhoto. But I love iPhoto's more consumer friendly features as well.

So I end up using both. Now maybe I wont have to.

Aperture isn't just for Professionals. If those features don't appeal to you then you have the choice not to use them.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Support for Video as well!!!

Now everything I shoot with my DSLR can go into Aperture!

daveinthecloud

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone else noticed that Aperture 3 requires an "Intel-based Mac computer"? No support for G4/G5 processors this time.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It's actually a pretty good update for the Aperture users among us. Better UI/workflow, commonly-used preset apply settings, non-destructive brushes. I give it a solid A-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.