Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mox123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Chicago
does anyone know how i can change the title from "MacOSX Server" on the Wiki page to something else on OSX server?

Apparently, Google now picks up on that title, and my webpage is no longer showing up as the #1 result; instead, some foreign IP with "MacOSX Server" shows up whenever I google my own webpage...:confused::confused:

mcprobie

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Paradise Corrupt
It seems strange to me you have the default wiki setup as an Internet facing webpage but maybe that is just me ...

I guess you could start by reading the Wiki Server Admin Guide ?

Or any of the other guides that have to do with the server setup, like Advanced Server Configuration or something.

samov

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
This works on OS X Server on Mountain Lion.

Ok... i did some digging around... and struck gold.

The digging part is not for the "faint of heart" since the Terminal is your best friend and some coding knowledge is involved. Suffice to say my trip in Wiki Server 4 land led me through Ruby on Rails code. I was surprised to find that i'm able to read ruby code, and i don't know Ruby at all. After looking through Model Views and Controllers i figured out the solution was simpler than i anticipated.

To modify the title on the first page you need to edit a .strings file. You need to use the download version (not the mac app store app) of TextWrangler or some other editor that allows Authenticated Saves (save files as other users). Make sure the Wiki service is off... the slider in the server app is off.

The location of the file depends on your language locale that you use:

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/collabd/coreclient/locales/en.lproj

where "en" can be either de, es, fr, it, ja, ko, nl, zh_CN, zh_TW depending on your wiki language.

First()

you need to right click on the file and "Get Info" and adjust the permissions temporarily for "Everyone" to "Read and Write".

Open the file in TextWrangler and find the key general.os_x_server and under it you can modify the string "OS X Server" to anything you want "My own company Wiki".

Save()

the file.

Second()

you need to right click on the file and "Get Info" and adjust the permissions temporarily for "Everyone" back to just "Read".

Move()

the slider in the Server App to On again for the wiki.

Enjoy!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.