Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmw71190

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
I have a 1st gen iPod Touch, and it will no longer find any WiFi connections. I have tried all of the troubleshooting and have gone as far with Apple Support as possible, but they will not repair it because it is past warranty.

The problem is that it will actually not even find the wifi signals. I can't even get to the point where I can connect to them. I have enabled wifi on the ipod, and made sure I have a wifi address.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? I'm afraid its just a hardware issue and the wifi element inside is broken, but I want to make sure I cover all my bases before getting it repaired/buying a new one.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Check in your settings again and see if WIFI is turned off. Also "ask to join networks" has to be on to automatically join them but they should show up as available. The only other thing to try and you might as well, is to do a complete restore of the OS and see if it is a corrupted driver causing the issue.
That's all I got, your Touch may have a dead wifi module as you suspect.
At least it's a good excuse to get a new one or a Pad.

icod

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
You can find a lot of wi-fi apps that will do the wi-fi scanning and connecting fo you. Just search wi-fi in iTunes and choose an app.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm having the same problem, the wifi button is grayed out, I can't choose a wifi either, APPLE SUCKS!, I'm really pissed, because it happened on its own, I did absolutely nothing, I've tried restoring it to 3.1.3 aswell as 3.1.2. tried reseting the ipod.. still nothing.. Honestly my Zune 30GB lasted over two years, I sold it last year.. It hasn't even been an year for this ipod touch..

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Yamcha if it hasn't even been a year you have your warranty coverage through Apple...take it to the store.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I'm having the same problem, the wifi button is grayed out, I can't choose a wifi either, APPLE SUCKS!, I'm really pissed, because it happened on its own, I did absolutely nothing, I've tried restoring it to 3.1.3 aswell as 3.1.2. tried reseting the ipod.. still nothing.. Honestly my Zune 30GB lasted over two years, I sold it last year.. It hasn't even been an year for this ipod touch..

Wow, tell us how you really feel!:rolleyes:

so you say the button is grayed out? What button exactly? If you don't want to try what is suggested in this thread (download wifi app, restore, etc.) then Yamcha, I would call Apple since it is still under warranty- and as we learned in today's report They do have the best customer service in the industry!!! :D

It is a fact of life not everything works perfectly....so perhaps you have an iPod that sucks, but one crappy iPod doesn't make Apple suck. I am not a "fanboy" but a realistic customer who knows even the best companies can have a dud every once and a while (which is good if you buy refurbs!!!:)), and can even have a poorly designed/made product (read Time Capsule!):mad:

good luck.

By the way...anyone want to buy my TC?!?!:D

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
California
Wow, tell us how you really feel!:rolleyes:

so you say the button is grayed out? What button exactly? If you don't want to try what is suggested in this thread (download wifi app, restore, etc.) then Yamcha, I would call Apple since it is still under warranty- and as we learned in today's report They do have the best customer service in the industry!!! :D

It is a fact of life not everything works perfectly....so perhaps you have an iPod that sucks, but one crappy iPod doesn't make Apple suck. I am not a "fanboy" but a realistic customer who knows even the best companies can have a dud every once and a while (which is good if you buy refurbs!!!:)), and can even have a poorly designed/made product (read Time Capsule!):mad:

good luck.

By the way...anyone want to buy my TC?!?!:D

You, sir, are a smart man. Just because a company produces a device that doesn't work the way you want it to, doesn't mean you have to criticize them and hate on them. Just simply return it, since you have your warranty, and get a new one. :) :D :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.