Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
Ok, does the dock for 3G iPods really not work with the 4G iPods, like Apple's site claims?

If so... why!?!?! They look exactly the same to me... I don't get it.

(I'm asking because I have a 3G iPod, but am probably going to upgrade to a 4G, and I don't want to buy a new dock)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
if apple site says so, i tend to believe it...

but it is annoying. it's getting to be like the palm pilot accessories. every single new palm had new set of accessories and it was just ridiculous.

i realize it's an easy way to make money for apple, but i wish they'd be honorable and make iPod designs so that accessories as compatible as possible across different generations... (or just use "standard" sockets, like gen. 1 and 2 iPods used FW.)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
The only reason I can think of is that the difference in the iPod widths (with 4G being noticeably thinner) since they should all use the same Dock Connector port.

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
But if the 4G is thinner, you think it would still fit fine in a 3G dock. And also, I thought it was only like 1 millimeter thinner! That is nothing!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
im sure they would work, but my 40gb 4g wont fit in my 15gb 3g, simply cause of size. other than that they are exactly the same. if apple says it doesn't work i still don't believe them until i see for myself. apple used to say their displays wont work with pc's, which wasn't true either.

iJon

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
So, is the consensus that Apple is full of it? :p

I guess I'll know for sure when my 4G iPod arrives hopefully next week. I just don't want to stick it in my 3G Dock and have it explode or something, lol.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Bobcat37 said:
So, is the consensus that Apple is full of it? :p

I guess I'll know for sure when my 4G iPod arrives hopefully next week. I just don't want to stick it in my 3G Dock and have it explode or something, lol.
i mean think about it. if each dock's didn't work other than size, then every 3g accessory would not work as well.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.