Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
Can anyone enlighten me on the realities of the Sprint 4G Overdrive Mobile Hotspot making iPad 4G and using it for all ones gear?

Speed - Up to 10 times faster than 3G?
Price $59.99/month
Connect up to 5 devices
Coverage see map

Sprint Overdrive 4G Website
http://now.sprint.com/nownetwork/4G/?ECID=vanity:4g#/product_overdrive

Make Your iPhone 4G Sprint Ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwV4XJJAAas

My Gear

MacBook Pro - Home based
iPhone - Everywhere based
iPad - Everywhere based

sprint-overdrive.jpg

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
It's like a better version of the MiFi and uses either Sprint's 4G WiMax (if available in your area) or 3G EVDO broadband service.

That's pretty much a very basic overview of it.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
this is a better option if you have wimax coverage in your area. Can totally get rid of broadband internet.

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
I have an Overdrive that my work provides for me. Don't waste your money.

I've updated the firmware and it really hasn't fixed the main problems. The claimed 4 hour battery life is realistically much closer to 2 hours. The device gets super hot when it's been on for 30 minutes. The 4G download speeds are no faster than my tethered iPhone 3G speeds. The upload speeds are marginally better than my tethered iPhone.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
I have an Overdrive that my work provides for me. Don't waste your money.

I've updated the firmware and it really hasn't fixed the main problems. The claimed 4 hour battery life is realistically much closer to 2 hours. The device gets super hot when it's been on for 30 minutes. The 4G download speeds are no faster than my tethered iPhone 3G speeds. The upload speeds are marginally better than my tethered iPhone.

Thanks for the real world feedback

I plan to buy the iPad 3G

And test out the Sprint 4G Overdrive device

If it works for me great, if not I will fall back to ATT 3G

I work out of my car and battery life is key

Would a car charger or replaceable battery for the Overdrive device be a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.