Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I have never been a fan of FireFox, so more than likely nope. Not for me... :) But I don't doubt that they would create an outstanding App the iPad.

Who knows, if they created an App for the iPad and it peaked my interest, I'd check it out.

:)

I'm wondering if SkyFire will ever get into developing for the iPad! Check them out.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Won't happen - Apple won't allow it on the iTunes store as it competes directly with Safari.
There are several browser apps on the App store right now. I use perfect browser quite frequently because it allows full screen browsing.

If Mozilla comes out with a decent app I would definitely use it. Firefox is the only browser I use on my PC and would never even consider using another one. That being said, I have no problems with mobile safari on the iPhone but it remains to be seen how great it will be on the iPad.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I just don't see the point unless they'll be able to port extensions as well. Safari is faster than Firefox, and Firefox can get a bit slower with more extensions you pile on, not to mention taking up more memory.

The question is, how different is Safari for iPad from Safari on Mac and how rapidly will they update Safari on the iPad?

The latest webkit nightly build is very fast, on par with Chrome right now. It would be awesome if Apple could adapt to faster updates for Safari on the iPad if it is the same client with just a different interface.

I don't think we'll see any other alternative browsers on the iPad.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
There are several browser apps on the App store right now. I use perfect browser quite frequently because it allows full screen browsing.

If Mozilla comes out with a decent app I would definitely use it. Firefox is the only browser I use on my PC and would never even consider using another one. That being said, I have no problems with mobile safari on the iPhone but it remains to be seen how great it will be on the iPad.

If I recall correctly, they all use Safari underneath, that's why they can get away with it. It's just wrappers around Safari.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I'd be happy with an app that does the equivalent of Firefox's adblock plugin.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I believe Mozilla dropped that project, due to Apple's constricting ways. I guess Opera is going to try though. I would try it, but Safari works pretty good on the iPad. I use Firefox on my computers, quite honestly it doesn't matter to me whatever works. I found that Foxmarks had a version for IE so I installed it and now my bookmarks sync to my iPod and soon to be iPad.

I get where Apple is going with not copying functionality, it would be nice to have a choice of browsers... Would it be difficult for one of the browser makers to make their browser default... meaning when you click a link in email it opens Opera or Firefox instead of Safari.

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
I'd be happy with an app that does the equivalent of Firefox's adblock plugin.

NoScript does fine, I rarely come across enough ad's that are annoying enough to block wit adblock... the built in ad blocker for Firefox does a sufficient job on blocking pop-ups... NoScript does the rest.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Over time, Firefox has simply lagged behind in the browser race; it's become slow, clunky, and has the least HTML5 support. It's a shame, because it has the second biggest marketshare now, so it's almost become a slightly lesser evil IE. :rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I use it on my Mac b/c of all the available plugins like NoScripts, AdBlock, etc. W/o plugins FireFox is just another browser, and I'm not sure if a) plugins are needed or desirable on an iPad and b) if Apple would even allow them.

So my initial answer would be no. I'd need a reason to use a browser other than Safari.

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
FF rules because of the amazing range of plugins. Eventually, if the iPad is going to be taken seriously, it needs to incorporate more advanced browsing features that are available on the desktop. Mobile Safari is okay on a phone in 5 minute bursts, but I wouldn't want to use it for hours on end.

winkg

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2010
Yes, I would use Firefox on my iPad, because I'd like to sync my bookmarks with my iMac, Dell laptop, and Acer netbook.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Holy thread necromancy, batman!

To reply to myself up there, I ended up using an adblock-proxy on my network and my Safari traffic routes through it. Good to know about Cydia though.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
FF rules because of the amazing range of plugins. Eventually, if the iPad is going to be taken seriously, it needs to incorporate more advanced browsing features that are available on the desktop. Mobile Safari is okay on a phone in 5 minute bursts, but I wouldn't want to use it for hours on end.

Agreed. I’m a big fan of AdBlock, NoScript, Screengrab, SiteAdvisor, Download Helper, Forecast Fox, Puny URL...not to mention the fact saving bookmarks is exponentially more logical (the ability to create new bookmarks folders inside others without having to additionally go through the Bookmark menu alone is worth its weight in gold).

Each browser has its pros and cons—more often than not, if I’m in Safari for one reason or another, I find myself rolling my eyes over some missing feature, then flipping back to Firefox. Wouldn’t use Safari at all if not for the fact I keep hitting snags on Facebook with FF (odd, since others don’t seem to have the same issue).

Just my two cents. I’d jump on FF for iPad in a heartbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.