Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
I just got the same email that everyone is getting about Saturday delivery is not available in my area, but I have a strong suspicion that these emails are phishing attempts. A) It doesnt look like a typical email. I usually get HTML emails and this was just text. B) Its actually a smart idea for a phisher to send these out hoping to get your Apple login info. With that info they could change your shipping address.

I have been told several times by several customer support reps from Apple and UPS that they have worked out a special arrangement with UPS to insure everyone gets theirs on Saturday. So ignore shipping delay emails and your tracking number. Just be patient. I was patient up until Modern Family came on last night followed by the onslaught of iPad reviews. Now I feel like a crack addict with no crack in sight...

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Are you able to post a picture of the email? Obviously blank out you personal details.

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
I do not think so as I have two friends who got this email and both called and talked to UPS and were both told that there is no Saturday delivery for their address.

You are just getting people's hopes up for another crushing blow!:mad:

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
"Sold-to Address?" That's called the Billing Address in all of Apple's other emails.

3tkg

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If it has your correct order number and correct ship to address, it's not just a random phishing email.

If this is a last minute email they decided to send out, I doubt it went thru the normal beautification process.

True test. Is the link included a misdirection to a bogus site?

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
This doesn't sound like social engineering to me. It doesn't ask you to respond with information, and the link directs you to Apple's secure log-in page. Where's the phishing?

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
This doesn't sound like social engineering to me. It doesn't ask you to respond with information, and the link directs you to Apple's secure log-in page. Where's the phishing?

That is how they get it they make a fake page up that looks like the real thing. When i clicked the link get gave me we can't validate security& and that never happen to me before. So i am thinking they want your pass word and look who keeps making these threads newbies they are trying to trick you. change your pass word now if you clicked the link

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
That is how they get it they make a fake page up that looks like the real thing. When i clicked the link get gave me we can't validate security& and that never happen to me before. So i am thinking they want your pass word and look who keeps making these threads newbies they are trying to trick you. change your pass word now if you clicked the link

There is no fake page. The page is still at apple.com. Type in the address from the email yourself, and it will redirect you to their SSL site.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
OK guys it isn't that difficult to check if something is really a phishing scam or not. All you have to do is right click on the link and do a Copy Link, and then paste it directly into the address bar in your browser. Does it say http://www.apple.com/something? Then it's not a phishing scam. Note that it's essential to do a Copy Link rather than just highlighting and copying the text that appears in the email.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
For the record, I'm not saying the email is legit. I'm just saying that the link provided in it does not link to a phishing site. It also does not ask for private information.

stevers23

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
OK guys it isn't that difficult to check if something is really a phishing scam or not. All you have to do is right click on the link and do a Copy Link, and then paste it directly into the address bar in your browser. Does it say http://www.apple.com/something? Then it's not a phishing scam. Note that it's essential to do a Copy Link rather than just highlighting and copying the text that appears in the email.

Here is the copied link per your instructions:
http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I don't think it's phishing, actually. I think it's punking. Someone is trying to have some April 1st fun with the forum.

So, everyone posting that the email had their actual order number and info are actually in on the joke?

The email looks nothing like any that I have ever received from Apple.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
All my emails from Apple go to my personal order status. BS.

I'll back you up here on this. Every email I've ever received from Apple about an order had a direct link to the order itself. Even when the link only said "Order Status" it takes you directly to the order, not the login page.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

GregGebhardt

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Some of you need a reality check! How in the heck would a phishing email have your order number, etc.:confused:

The email is REAL! UPS DOES NOT DELIVER TO ALL AREAS ON SATURDAY!

I have used UPS for years and their Saturday delivery area is limited!

How old are some of you?

mkruck

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Some of you need a reality check! How in the heck would a phishing email have your order number, etc.:confused:

The email is REAL! UPS DOES NOT DELIVER TO ALL AREAS ON SATURDAY!

I have used UPS for years and their Saturday delivery area is limited!

How old are some of you?

It's quite possible that UPS, Apple and/or the data centers hosting their environments has been breached. Once that has occurred, getting into a database to mine name, order numbers, addresses, etc., is a pretty easy thing to do.

"But wait", you say, "how do you know this"?

I'm the Cyber Security Director for a Fortune 500 company. I deal with things like this every day of the week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.