Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomcat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
I've got an older Onkyo amp. TX-sv727 that I'm trying to hook up to my mac, so I can do things like play itunes through the amp. and the speakers hooked to it. I've read that you can use a 3.5 stereo mini phone plug to dual rca jack stereo cable, to do this. I've tried it and it doesn't work. Is it possible to do this on a non-digital unit? Is the magic in using a sound card? :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes.

The iMac has an analog and digital audio output.

If you use a cable like this:
AK243-025,050,10.jpg

you should not have a problem.

Are you sure you use the audio out port of the iMac?
Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Sound > Output and seen what is selected there while the proper connection has been made?

picture1wq4.png

Are you sure you use the right input on the Onkyo and also have selected the right channel to monitor?

4503447887_7549245b82_o.png

tomcat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Yes I have cable and I connected to the audio in/optical digital audio in port, and the two rca ends are plugged into the onkyo's tape 1 inputs. When I open up sound on system preferences and look at output it only says internal speakers / built-in output. I just noticed that you said yes to my last statement about a sound card. That's something I don't have yet, any kind better than others?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Yes I have cable and I connected to the audio in/optical digital audio in port, and the two rca ends are plugged into the onkyo's tape 1 inputs. When I open up sound on system preferences and look at output it only says internal speakers / built-in output.

You have to use the audio out port on the iMac, not the audio in port.

Audio out port is the one with the headphone icon/symbol.
imac_connection_ports.gif

3023427414_eafa81942a.jpg

tomcat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
"oops"

Thanks, that did it, Wow! Sounds good. What if someone wanted to do any improvements to sound quality, any input?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Thanks, that did it, Wow! Sounds good. What if someone wanted to do any improvements to sound quality, any input?

There are numerous ways to improve sound. For example, iTunes and some other music players have equalizers to boost or lower certain frequencies, or even your Onkyo might have some kind of bass or treble knobs to do that.

Or are you talking about other kinds of improvements?

tomcat101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
On the same amp. I have a cd player and when I play the same song on both and switch back and forth the sound from itunes is not as loud, or the highs
as crisp. It's a noticeable difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.