Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TextCrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
On my Mac, especially when copying a lot of files, the "preparing to copy" function before any copying actually takes place is too dang long. Is there any way to disable the "preparing to copy" part so that when I copy anything, it simply starts copying right away?

I don't need to the OS to guess how long the copy will take or to detect if I have enough free space. I just want to the copy to go as soon as I tell it to.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
How much are you copying? And how often is this happening that it would be problem? Either that or you have a slow drive that you are copying from.

You could use the terminal to copy stuff if you want.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Those are not two separate functions. It's doing that because of the size of the item(s) you are copying. A small item will be copied instantaneously, as you want. But, it's a computer, not a miracle box. It takes a long time to cook a turkey in the microwave oven also.

Reactions: chabig

wellandbusiness

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2010
Peterborough (UK)
Even if you could turn this feature off - it wouldn't achieve anything.

The preparing to copy stage of the copy process is your computer working out exactly where the files are physically located on your hard drive disks and where they will fit efficiently in the new location.

This has nothing to do with where you see the files i.e. User/Documents, but where they are really sitting on your physical disks.

Tom

TextCrab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I see nobody has an answer to this, but I'll let you know why I asked.

Back when I asked this, I was copying 20,000+ files to a FAT32 partition on an external USB drive. (Yes, USB2). It took 39 hours for "preparing to copy" to finish, and then 48 minutes to do the actual copy.

That's why I was looking for a way to make the copy method more like Windows 98, where it doesn't get ready to copy - it just copies.
The "preparing to copy" takes way to much time.

astrosonic

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
You may use alternative feature I use all the time for similar to yours cases: open terminal and enter "cp -R <source> <target>" - it will start copying your files immediately. All you have to make sure is about a space available on your target device before making that.

Reactions: AleRod

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I was looking for a way to make the copy method more like Windows 98, where it doesn't get ready to copy - it just copies.
With your obviously limited knowledge, what makes you so sure that Windows doesn't copy in much the same way, except not tell you about it? I've copied large items on Windows and sat there watching it copy for a long time. Just because there's a different animation does not mean that the process is faster. But, I've never tried an "apples to windows" comparison.

loderunner

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
netherlands
question answered for me.

had the same issue; Finder stuck prohibitively long (and definitely not resulting in any visibly copied files).
(NB: accessing files from a Drobo through the network and DroboShare)

but the suggestion to use cp in the terminal is much better in this respect: it soon starts copying actual files--that are visible on the disk.
I would be surprised if that would yield a worse performing HD??

this is especially appreciated if it turns out you need to take the laptop (or HD) while the process is not completed yet.

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
How much are you copying? And how often is this happening that it would be problem? Either that or you have a slow drive that you are copying from.

You could use the terminal to copy stuff if you want.

Those are not two separate functions. It's doing that because of the size of the item(s) you are copying. A small item will be copied instantaneously, as you want. But, it's a computer, not a miracle box. It takes a long time to cook a turkey in the microwave oven also.

Two people answered your question. Here's a third: You can't turn it off.

Goodness, I am having the exact same problem on my '10 ML MBP and what the hell exactly is this?

Some "stand round in a circle" mutual masturbatory salute to the technical excellences of the late Steve Jobs?

Finder is absolutely *horrible* and all you guys can suggest is "suck it up, that's the way it is", and even worse still make up non-existent pseudo-technical rationale on why things are so.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Finder is absolutely *horrible* and all you guys can suggest is "suck it up, that's the way it is", and even worse still make up non-existent pseudo-technical rationale on why things are so.

Lots of people have issues with Finder. If there was a solution to the OP's problem, someone would have offered it. The suggestions above to "suck it up" as you say are indeed all I have to offer if the user is staying with a Mac. That's because there isn't an alternative with the Mac OS. So, one other suggestion: if you hate Finder that much, buy a Dell and use Windows.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
salute to the technical excellences of the late Steve Jobs?

First: Steve was never a technical person.

Second: I didn't know that The Great, The One and Only Steve Jobs May His Name Live FOREVER *takes a minute of silence*

----------

wrote the Finder in it's current form.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobowankenobi

woofwoofola

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Firstly, ratsandwich was saying that we should use a different finder application (e.g. xfile etc) or a command line alternative (I was using cp in Terminal before, but I'm going to try xfile now).

Secondly, here is what I think is happening. Some people, like me, can't stand the notion of file indexing because the computer uses CPU cycles at its own discretion. I really don't like that, so I turn off indexing with mdutil (a built-in command in Terminal). And here is the consequence of that: when I attempt to copy one small file that already exists to my network drive, it prepares to copy for perhaps 5 minutes before it finally prompts me that it already exists and asks if I want to replace it.

Contrary to other answers I've seen in this forum or others, I don't believe it is checking for space or doing anything necessary -- I presume it must be building an index with/for unnecessary information. Now, to do/check things, yes a simple index is needed, but that should not take long, unless it is implemented badly, or it should be deferred until when it is strictly needed. If it was doing something necessary for the protocol then alternative finder applications would have the same problem, but they clearly don't.

Some of the glib and asanine responses from people who haven't experienced the problem are because they put up with indexing, so that if they do experience an indexing delay it is minimal compared to what I experience.

So I hope this theory of mine about my uncommon configuration (indexing off) explains why this problem hasn't been fixed. Nobody at Apple has bothered to reproduce it to get to the root cause and make the fix. Or provide an option to avoid the problem. It should be easy to do. In the meantime, I will use xfile.

Last edited by a moderator:

robo456

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
New Jersey
Maybe it's because it's getting to the end of the work day, but I submit:

Helmet: Good. Let's get moving.
Sandurz: Yes, sir. Driver, prepare to move out.
Helmet: What are you preparing. You're always preparing. Just go!
Sandurz: Just go.
Spaceball: Yes, sir.
Sandurz: Sir, shouldn't you sit down.
(They take off. The immediate motion causes Helmet to fall back into his seat.)

Reactions: hobowankenobi

lacek

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014

Back when I asked this, I was copying 20,000+ files to a FAT32 partition on an external USB drive. (Yes, USB2). It took 39 hours for "preparing to copy" to finish, and then 48 minutes to do the actual copy.

That's why I was looking for a way to make the copy method more like Windows 98, where it doesn't get ready to copy - it just copies.

Perhaps this is just a "bookkeeping". You should compare it against copying from the consore. There there is no distinct "preparing to copy" stage, however I am afraid it is just not show and the same things are performed during run of the "cp" program. I suspect cp from the console will also take several hours. Perhaps its "preparation" is more primitive and it would be faster, but I do not think it would be 48 minutes.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.

Hahahahaha. That's funny.

Here's an idea: Fire up your Windows 98 box and have at it.
[doublepost=1546651000][/doublepost]
Goodness, I am having the exact same problem on my '10 ML MBP and what the hell exactly is this?

Some "stand round in a circle" mutual masturbatory salute to the technical excellences of the late Steve Jobs?

Well....we could complain, and gnash our teeth. That usually fixes stuff.

KL Konnect

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
Wait, you mean to tell me others actually had this problem TEN YEARS AGO, yet I am sitting here IN 2021, WITH A BRAND NEW MACBOOK AIR 2021 laptop trying to copy 6 songs, only to watch f-----g lines move back and forth in boxes that say preparing to copy as nothing happens for over 20 minutes so far?

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

How is it possible an issue exists 10 YEARS AGO with complaints and questions easily found on the net, yet SAME EXACT PROBLEM continue to exist in new models over a decade later?

I wish I knew this would occur before I bought this laptop... Not really reliable if needed for performance assignment!

This is the longest it has taken so far. How long am I supposed to sit here and wait for it to "find the file and copy it?" I have a gig tomorrow, and preparing 24 hours in advance SHOULD be a reasonable amount of time to plan on getting things like this done. Wtf?

And some people here had the audacity to get mad at the people complaining. Anyone who thinks it is unreasonable for someone who spent $1000+ on a BRAND NEW laptop that takes over 20 min to copy 6 to 8 individual songs from USB to laptop to be upset deserves to be bopped upside the head with the laptop, especially if the person complaining makes a living this way. I am baffled on how such a simple process can take so long.

Not as annoying as Windows Updates, but.... Still annoying, nevertheless.

Anyway, now that I got that anger out of my system I have to admit that thinking about the Windows Update made me thankful for continuing with MacBook.

But.... A decade later, and same issues without any real explanations? And can't say Windows is better because they should AT THE VERY LEAST have figured out a way to make Windows Updates occur in a much less intrusive way by now. There has been way more than enough angry attention brought to that.

I just don't understand how issues can occur, many people can bring it up to the point it is easily found all over the net, yet the issue CONTINUES to exist well into the future. That baffles me.

Well, I hope my laptop manages to finish copy pasting all files by tonight. Watching grey lines move side to side while it continuously says Preparing to copy really does nothing for me.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
(…) laptop trying to copy 6 songs (…)
If the source or target is on a network share, this could be caused by a bad WiFi connection/interference.
I noticed the same behaviour when being farther away from the router. As I couldn‘t move it closer, I discovered disabling Bluetooth improved the WiFi transfer rate massivly (2,4 GHz WiFi).
If you meant copying from USB to the internal SSD, my only explanation is macOS indexing the USB device, which in case of a slow flash drive with lots of files can happen.

Last edited:

nstefi

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
I am having the same problem now on a Macbook Pro M1 chip with macOS Monterey 12.0.1. I am only trying to copy 1 PowerPoint file from another computer, to which I am connected with Microsoft Remote Desktop. The file is 544 MB. The other computer I was connected to is Windows 10 Pro, I did a Copy on that side, and did a Paste on my desktop on the Mac. Now the Finder is showing me that "Preparing to copy to Desktop" for half an hour already. I think it may never start the way it looks. I agree that preparing to copy should only take less than a second if it just needs to check the file size and free space, but something is really wrong with this.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I don't think anybody has mentioned this, but one can use other methods. I am not defending the limitations of Finder...but not aware of any easy fix over the years. Just use something else. Tons of sync tools that work well, and performance can vary depending on the destination and transfer protocol.

For a massive number of files, I prefer to use a good backup/sync tool that has great feedback and error capture, as well as preview mode see before starting. GetBackup is a great example. Sure it costs money, but for something I do all the time, plus being a good backup tool...worth the cost. For a one-time need, the free demo may do the trick.

Same for CCC, Chronsync, and a long list of paid, robust transfer tools. Duplicate was fast and easy, but sadly is no longer being developed.

Some free transfer/sync tools too, like:

SmartBackupxx
Syncthing
Resilio

There are Finder replacements too, some free, some paid.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
Yep, this dumb issue still exists. I'm currently trying out TeraCopy and FileAssistant.

Waiting over half an hour before the finder seemingly starts is beyond insane.

I'm copying data from a thunderbolt drive across a thunderbolt hub to another thunderbolt drive.

It managed to start and complete 250GB okay. I then started a copy of 85GB from the same drive to the same other drive and it sat there for ages - I eventually had to quit finder and find an alternative route. Just to copy data, what a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.