Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I have a PS3 which is cool because it much more than just a games console. But I would like to view TV shows and Movies like coverflow does. Im contemplating on either getting a Mac Mini or Apple TV.
I think the Mac Mini would be better as the there are limitations on ATV. Does anyone think this would be better or do you think I should stick with my PS3?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Depends:

How much money are you willing to spend and how easy do you want it to be?

While more powerful, the Mac Mini route will be arguably more difficult to set up. You can't just pull it out of the box and have it work, you need to invest in cabling and possibly additional software whereas ATV will work right out of the box. ATV is also 2 to potentially 3 times cheaper than a Mini.

You need to determine what's important to you. I have found ATV one of the best investment I have ever made. It just works and works well with my setup. I know some people complain about lack of 1080, but that has never been an issue to me. The HD offerings are supurb and I have been encoding my DVD collection for ATV playback as well as loading in all of my CDs.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Stay with the PS3. I never use my ATV.

A mini is not a bad choice. If you don't like it for video at least you got a computer out of the deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.