Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hi.

I have some indie comics in CBR form.

What's the app that gives the best reading experience (other than Marvel, which I currently own)

I don't mind/care, if I have to download the files via WWW - I can point it to my fileserver.

I only want an app that either free or cheap and makes reading a real pleasure...

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Comic Zeal. Synchs with your computer, so you need to visit their website to get the free desktop app as well.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Oh cool, I didn't realise (as I don't have an iPad yet). Their website doesn't seem to have an iPad section yet.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
If you use the ComicZeal Sync app, it will compress the cbr's and cbz's.

You should really use the iTunes sync as it's over USB, and it's the full quality.

jodorowsky00

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Hi.

I have some indie comics in CBR form.

What's the app that gives the best reading experience (other than Marvel, which I currently own)

I don't mind, if I have to download via WWW - I can point it to my fileserver.

I only want an app that either free or cheap and makes reading a real pleasure...

Cloud Readers is the best comic viewer out there! try it before you buy any other comic book reader, it's free, I used all 3 , comic reader mobi, comic zeal and cloud readers that means yes bought them all and guess whtsbthe best the one free app.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I've also tried them all, and the free alternative Cloud Readers is far from the best. The best thing about it, is it's free, and you get what you pay for. Go with Comic Zeal. Nothing better at the moment is out there.

A warning with Comic Zeal... If you have a large library on the iPad, your back up will take SEVERAL HOURS to complete.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Comic Zeal for me. Cloud Readers was fine though if you're looking for a free option :).

To avoid the lengthy backup times do what most people would do and just sync over small amounts of your collection rather than the whole lot.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
To avoid the lengthy backup times do what most people would do and just sync over small amounts of your collection rather than the whole lot.

That's fine for a temporary solution, but this is a bug. Apple blames Comic Zeal, and they blame Apple. It's a database issue, and no matter who's fault, it needs to be fixed, or Comic Zeal needs to give you the option to NOT put the comics into the back up data. I have them backed up on my desktop anyway. It takes SEVERAL hour less to uninstall Comic Zeal, back up the iPad, and then Re-install the app and add back all the comics. That just shouldn't be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.