Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hi, for the longest time I haven't been able to open System Preference. And when I'm on a different account, other than the Administrator, there's an icon on the dock saying "System Preference" but it's a ? as the icon. How do I get it back so I can open it?

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
It's not there. It's as if I deleted the file, but I'm not sure. I've checked several threads on this site, but none seemed to of worked.

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Nope, it's there under the Apple icon but nothing opens after clicking. And I have no disk that I hear of.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Nope, it's there under the Apple icon but nothing opens after clicking. And I have no disk that I hear of.

What "disk" do you mean?

You can try Pacifist or the Show Hidden Files Terminal command to extract System Preferences from the installation/restore DVD.

Have other people access to your computer and might have deleted System Preferences? Maybe it's in the Trash.

One can also restrict access to some applications and other files via Parental Controls.

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I'm not sure, but a disk that comes with it.

I've downloaded Pacifist but don't know what to do.

Well I'm the Administrator, so I have full access.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Try the attachment, it's a packed .zip file with System Preferences for Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Also Pacifist can extract applications from the installation DVD and you have to open the package (.pkg, .mpkg) file on the restore / installation DVD that came with the Mac or you have bought.

Attachments

• System Preferences.zip
    488 KB · Views: 297

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Aw man. I thought I had it but it says

"The application System Preferences quit unexpectedly.

Mac OS X and other applications are not affected."

I clicked relaunch but same thing comes up. I have Mac 10.5.8

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Then it goes deeper.

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility, maybe best when booted from the restore / installation DVD?

Can you backup your data? If so, you can always try to reinstall your Mac OS X, with Snow Leopard you won't even need to delete everything, it will just work like an update, so everything stays the same, but hopefully the error goes away. But backing up data is always a good idea.

Mac Nerd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
I'll try the repairing permissions. But what do you mean by restore/installation DVD?

Does Snow Leopard cost money?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I'll try the repairing permissions. But what do you mean by restore/installation DVD?

Does Snow Leopard cost money?

When you buy Macs first hand (not used) you get gray restore DVDs with them, DVD 1 contains the system, DVD 2 contains iLife.
They look like this:

mac-restore-cd.jpg

If you have bought a Mac since September 2009, it will have come with Mac OS X 10.6, also called Snow Leopard.
Or you could have bought the 29USD "Upgrade" DVD for an older Mac, which looks like this:
mac-os-x-snow-leopard-icon.jpg

To find out which Mac OS X version and what Mac (machine model) you have use ABOUT THIS MAC and Applications > Utilities > System Profiler (or About This Mac > More Info...).

AboutThisMac-G510.2.8.jpg

303035_1.jpg

edit.gif

Ahh, all the picture search for nothing. I just saw that you have Mac OS X 10.5.8.

You can do an Archive & Install with that. It moves all your files into a folder called Previous System.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.