Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

misguided

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
i need to replace the hard drive on my imac . can anyone give me advice on how to replace it or point me to a website that can help. how do i access the hard drive? i'm a newbie to this stuff. thanks sooo much

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Below is a link to the actual Apple Service Manual for your particular iMac. Its 11.4MB so hopefully you're not on dialup. I don't believe its very hard at all. Just remember that you can not put a huge drive in it. I don't remember the maximum size of hard drive it will recognize. Somewhere on the Apple Support page it will tell you.

http://z1.micro.umn.edu/ucs/imac_sl.pdf

lost_mobius

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2004
I replaced the hd on my iMac DV SE with a 80gb drive. I found a site online with a walkthrough. Watch the screws and good luck, it should be a snap, one hour tops. :)

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I just put a 40Gb Western Digital Hard Drive in one of my 400MHz iMacs It took me about 45 mins and I used this Guide to help me. It worked Great. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old Hard Drive to the new one. Also one piece of advice is be careful not to lose the screws. I would be happy to answer any other questions you have.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Don't buy a drive larger than 120 GB for the iMac DV.
Only machines after The QuickSilver G4 can handle more than 120 GB
(its possible with older machines with proper software or a pci ata controller)
It you get a drive larger than 120 GB your machine won't se more than ca. 128 GB of it. Any ATA 33/66/100/133 drive will work in your computer.
(SATA or SCSI wont work)

misguided

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
imac hard drive

put everything in fine plugged it in to do a software restore and it doesn't have a destination disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.