Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
Okay, I've heard the horror stories of people taking their iPhones into Mexico and ending up with $3000 AT&T bills.

1. Does the 3G part of the iPad work in Mexico?
2. If so, is the cost as insane as the phone plan?

Neous

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Woodstock, CT
i don't think those are horror stories more like stupid stories.
it's called roaming outer space, or using your US phone out of the country.

one solution to your question: the Ipad is unlocked so go to mexico get yourself a mini sim card from a good provider and enjoy or at least try to since according to my tube there seem to be some kind of marshal Law in effect.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Okay, I've heard the horror stories of people taking their iPhones into Mexico and ending up with $3000 AT&T bills.

1. Does the 3G part of the iPad work in Mexico?
2. If so, is the cost as insane as the phone plan?

You will be roaming if use 3G in Mexico. You can either
1. sign up for and ATT international data plan
2. get a PAYG SIM from a carrier in Mexico.

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
one solution to your question: the Ipad is unlocked so go to mexico get yourself a mini sim card from a good provider and enjoy

I would recommend Telcel if you're going to Mexico City, although for every carrier you would have to cut it to the size of the micro-sim, Telcel offers something that allows you to pay 1 peso (like 0.08 dollars right now) for 1 MB of usage, it isn't extraordinarily cheap but it is a better option than even paying for the roaming plans that AT&T offers.

joseluis.17

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
monterrey, mexico
I would recommend Telcel if you're going to Mexico City, although for every carrier you would have to cut it to the size of the micro-sim, Telcel offers something that allows you to pay 1 peso (like 0.08 dollars right now) for 1 MB of usage, it isn't extraordinarily cheap but it is a better option than even paying for the roaming plans that AT&T offers.

that's what I'm planing to do
or you can have a contract that's 400 pesos or 500 a month I think for unlimited data

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
that's what I'm planing to do
or you can have a contract that's 400 pesos or 500 a month I think for unlimited data

Yea but if you're only going there for a few days I would NOT recommend that!
Besides the pay as you go is really good for visiting because when you buy certain denominations of prepaid cards you get more because they like "gift it" to you, say you buy 200 pesos and you get 300.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I just went to cabo a month ago with my iPhone and set up everything online. Got the 20mb international plan (was only planning to check mail on the fly and update a few social networks). Was there for a 4 days and only used up about 10mbs and got refunded what I didn't use.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
And whatever you do.....do NOT let your iPad drink the water :eek:

Quote of the day! :)

Most of the big grocery stores have mobile stores in them or nearby. Definitely get pay as you go. Definitely stick with Telcel and stay away from Movistar. And definitely bring lots of beer money.

Glad you said that. I did a search and I think Movistar is cheaper. :(

I just went to cabo a month ago with my iPhone and set up everything online. Got the 20mb international plan (was only planning to check mail on the fly and update a few social networks). Was there for a 4 days and only used up about 10mbs and got refunded what I didn't use.

I take it you turned off all the push features and stuff?

christof

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2002
Earth
Which Mexico carrier did you use?

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico
Which Mexico carrier did you use?

This Are the possible carriers in Mexico

Telcel= Best Option Excelent Coverage, 3G service is bad

Movistar= Coverage Bad 3g service Bad

IUSACELL= It dosent use a SIM but they Have MIFI, Bad Coverage Excelent 3G Service.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
And remember when traveling to Mexico, if you have an insurance plan with Safeware, and it gets lost, stolen or damaged while there, they will not cover it as Mexico is on the travel adversary list:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

Other insurance plans might have this limitation too, so be aware and be careful whenever traveling to countries on this list!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.