Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find the answer to my question.

MY 11 month old PB battery can't hold a charge that lasts more than 12 minutes. and its been getting progressively worse. I've tried nearly everything to force it to fully charge from apples suggested fully discharge and recharge to the shift-option-apple-power at startup. none of these have had any discernible effect. (even after multiple attempts)

I'm still under the 12 month warranty but does it include batteries? I'm out of luck as of October 29 - so should i bother giving apple a call? any advice is appreciated.

cheers
m

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Batteries are covered under the warranty. I got mine replaced for free on my PowerBook. I'd get a new battery as soon as possible, so just in case your problem is actually not battery related, you can have your PowerBook repaired before your warranty ends.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
My battery lasted a couple of weeks over a year on my PB, before I had to replace it. There was another thread here somewhere where people were talking about the short life of their batteries on the aluminum powerbooks. It should be noted that some of these batteries were defective and Apple replaced them, as they should yours in my opinion, however, these new batteries do not last much longer than a year in my opinion, based on my experience. Hopefully, I am just the victim of a anomoloy, but that has been my experience.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
mattroberts said:
I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find the answer to my question.

MY 11 month old PB battery can't hold a charge that lasts more than 12 minutes. and its been getting progressively worse. I've tried nearly everything to force it to fully charge from apples suggested fully discharge and recharge to the shift-option-apple-power at startup. none of these have had any discernible effect. (even after multiple attempts)

I'm still under the 12 month warranty but does it include batteries? I'm out of luck as of October 29 - so should i bother giving apple a call? any advice is appreciated.

cheers
m

That's definitely a defective battery. Apple covers batteries; they just don't cover a slight decrease over a long period (because that's normal). Dropping to 12 minutes is a serious problem and Apple will DEFINITELY replace it for you. Go! Quick, before the warranty runs out!

jabbadeznuts

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2004
I had the exact problem, but my battery would last for about ~35 minutes before it just completely shut off. I called apple and they told me to reset the "fuel meter" and try again. I did that and called back the same day. They shipped me a battery on a friday and it got here on Monday.

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
So i called apple Canada. They sent me to an authorized dealer who told me that the battery is no good, Which i already knew. So I called apple back and they told me my Battery IS NOT COVERED under my one year protection as it is a consumable part and I'm out of luck! What gives?

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Maybe the policy of Apple Canada is different from the U.S. policy, or you just got a misinformed AppleCare rep.

I would try calling again and talking to someone else.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
mattroberts said:
So i called apple Canada. They sent me to an authorized dealer who told me that the battery is no good, Which i already knew. So I called apple back and they told me my Battery IS NOT COVERED under my one year protection as it is a consumable part and I'm out of luck! What gives?

I had the same problem with my battery and with Apple phone support. My advice: take in to any Apple Store. When my second battery (I purchased another one when the AppleCare rep told me they weren't covered) died, I took it into the local Apple Store and the Apple Genius gave me a new battery on the spot. How far away are you from an Apple Store? It you aren't that far away, that would be my suggestion.

Apmonia

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
I had the same exact problem a few weeks ago under the 12 month warranty. they replaced my battery.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/89403/

Here is exactly what i told the techie.

I have checked the website
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
reset the PRAM
reset the battery by running my PB until it goes to sleep then bringing it to a full charge.
i have checked the capacity of my battery. use itattle to do this. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24263
a decent capacity is between 3500 - 4500

They ask me to send back the battery, mine was lating about 20 minutes when i sent it back.

You should check all that stuff first.

mattroberts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Canada
superbovine said:
a decent capacity is between 3500 - 4500

Mine is 652. I called apple again and they said unless its was the Powerbooks fault I'm not getting a replaced battery. I can't believe that normal usage has caused my battery to loose all ability to hold a charge.

I've checked my Warranty and sure enough it does not cover the battery's so what the heck good is a warranty on a portable computer if they don't cover the battery which right now gives my 9 minutes of usage?

Should i just keep calling?
m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.