Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevol

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I just downloaded the trial for Pavtube and overall very impressed. I love the convenience of one program that does everything -- no need to use 2-3 programs to go from Blu-ray to Apple TV. And there are few settings to tweak, much easier experience not having to worry about advanced strings or multiple Handbrake tweaks to get everything just right.

However: unless I am doing something wrong, it seems to lose chapter markers / breaks. This is not the end of the world, as I don't normally watch a movie worrying about what chapter I am on, but if anyone knows more about this, would appreciate input.

Anyone else use Pavtube? Any thoughts, comments on in it in general? I am debating paying for it (when Handbrake is free). Which also reminds me, how much is the makemkv license? I am also on the trial version of that. I might be justified in paying the $49 for Pavtube if makemkv costs anything significant. Thanks!

stevol

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that one benefit I have seen immediately from Pavtube is that with default settings, I have had no stutter playing "Open Season" on my ATV, whereas with handbrake (after ripping from mkv), I have stutter in at least one scene using the Apple TV preset with changing the resolution to 1280 x 720. And what's odd is that the average bitrate for the Pavtube file was much higher than that for the handbrake file (about 4,000 vs 2,000). I re-ripped the Pavtube file to a lower bit rate (about the same as the handbrake) and quality still looks good (no easily seen difference).

Still curious to hear about any of your experiences with Pavtube and also especially want to know about chapters / markers with Pavtube (as I said in my last post, my rips so far have resulted in NO chapters!)

stevol

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Audio

Just now noticed that the audio is not as rich in Pavtube as in handbrake but I am not sure why. Like I said, there are fewer settings to tweak, which makes it easier to use, but with the difference in audio quality, starting to doubt it (vs handbrake). Any thoughts on this as well? Has anyone used Pavtube? There is a free trial, so nothing to lose. I am getting frustrated that this is so complicated. Much easier to rip dvd than blu-ray!

hatetea58

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
Hi stevol
It shows me chapters when i load my blu-ray. there are two modes, file mode and title mode. Are u sure u are in Title Mode when loading files?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
MakeMKV still appears to be free, but still it is much better than other software I've used.

yangguo24

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
When did it get AC3? I tried it a couple of months ago and it didn't have it.

Right now, Make MKV has no competition on the Mac side. The Blu-ray Ripper Pro is the only thing that might catch up, but it's flaky at this point, too (although not as badly as PavTube).

Hi, guys, look at this:

1. When did it get AC3? I tried it a couple of months ago and it didn't have it.

2. Right now, Make MKV has no competition on the Mac side.
You're quite humorous:D

you said: a couple of months ago, Pavtube can't xxx.
you also said: Right now, MakeMKV can xxx.

How can you compare "a couple of months ago" with "Right now"? :D

I think you need to try it again, then post your reviews here.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
You're quite humorous:D I think you need to try it again, then post your reviews here.

I usually don't respond to spammers, but I'll do so here. You've put AC3 in, but you remux DTS? Why? Most Blu-ray discs have DTS. Does your software extract the AC3 cores and if it extracts the DTS cores what is the remux? Does it still crash on half the Blu-ray discs out there? Or is it really just for DVDs?

Edit: Being foolish, I downloaded the current Pavtube and tried to open Avatar Blu-ray. It gave me the spinning beach ball and I had to do a force quit. Pavtube is still junk. It's probably malware of some kind.

Attachments

• pt.png
    pt.png
    142.5 KB · Views: 169

yangguo24

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
I usually don't respond to spammers, but I'll do so here. You've put AC3 in, but you remux DTS? Why? Most Blu-ray discs have DTS. Does your software extract the AC3 cores and if it extracts the DTS cores what is the remux? Does it still crash on half the Blu-ray discs out there? Or is it really just for DVDs?

Edit: Being foolish, I downloaded the current Pavtube and tried to open Avatar Blu-ray. It gave me the spinning beach ball and I had to do a force quit. Pavtube is still junk. It's probably malware of some kind.

Brother, just calm down, calm down. I am not here to quarrel with you.:)

Avatar? It is said Pavtube software now with support for Blu-ray Avatar released in North America( where are you?).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=pavtube+avatar&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

BTW: if it works fine, then forget these unpleasant words:D

SicMX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Can i use MakeMKV or Pavtube natively in OSX with an external Blu-Ray drive to rip movies?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.