Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Hey all, while I'm on a posting rampage about building a PC, I was wondering if there is a way I can get an A/B DVI switcher that will let me share my 23" cinema display between my Powerbook and PC. I already checked out dr. bott and their DVI box doesn't support the 20 and 23" flat panels. Anyone seen anything out there suitable?

BTW, cheap is good- not the 500 dollar "extend" products, and I don't need USB switching, although that would be nice.

Thanks!

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Waaaaay back when I was pondering this I looked at this switch from Belkin:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...=&Section_Id=201729&pcount=&Product_Id=160592

BTW I realize it only lists 1600x1200 as the max resolution, but it might work. DVI is DVI so I don't see why it would not. My take is they pick common PC resolutions.

Tho end in the end I decided to use my 15" display as my Windows box monitor (mostly for TV via Media Center) and keep my 23" only on my G5. That decision was based solely on being able to have both systems displayed at the same time on multiple monitors. Otherwise I would have gotten the DVI switch.
-jim

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I went looking around for a switch a while back and came to two conclusions.

1) The switches I've seen don't give you the resolution you need to really make use of the 23 inch screen. And whats the use of buying a $2000 monitor if your going to cripple it with a bad switch.

2) If I found a switch suitable enough it, the price was so high you might as well buy another screen.

Maybe someone has found one that I have not seen before, but I'm still looking off and on and have found nothing for this. The best way imho is to just unplug form each tower. Yeah that sucks but its the best way.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
Dr. Dastardly said:
I went looking around for a switch a while back and came to two conclusions.

1) The switches I've seen don't give you the resolution you need to really make use of the 23 inch screen. And whats the use of buying a $2000 monitor if your going to cripple it with a bad switch.

2) If I found a switch suitable enough it, the price was so high you might as well buy another screen.

Maybe someone has found one that I have not seen before, but I'm still looking off and on and have found nothing for this. The best way imho is to just unplug form each tower. Yeah that sucks but its the best way.
damn...I was afraid someone would say that. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
If I were in your situation I might look into selling the Apple display and buying an HP 23" LCD. You'd have the same resolution, likely better brightness and contrast, and you wouldn't need a switch because the monitor itself has multiple inputs (DVI, VGA, component video, s-video).

here's the link.

The only thing wrong with it is the HP logo.. but I suppose I could get over it. The neat thing about it is that it rotates 90'. I think ATI enabled display rotation in its Mac drivers recently but I could be mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.