Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
So i used Handbrake with the universal settings, everything default.

but compared to the dvd its slight reduced in image size...havent noticed that with most of my other rips at all. most of them match the size of the dvd.

Handbrake encode:
wallep.png

wallsmall.png

DVD Size:
walllarger.png

any settings to tweak or is it particularly normal/standard for that?

thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
What I can tell, it looks like the DVD version has resolution of 834x352 while the encoded version has resolution of 720x352.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
right, and the inspector says it 720x352, the actual size/screen shot is 834x352 and the DVD actual size is 853x363

so im not sure why handbrake is reducing the size, nothing is cut off from the actual film. i tampered around with manually inputting values but it stretched it out even maintaining aspect ratio.

so idk, i guess it could be normal and not a big issue.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
right, and the inspector says it 720x352, the actual size/screen shot is 834x352 and the DVD actual size is 853x363

so im not sure why handbrake is reducing the size, nothing is cut off from the actual film. i tampered around with manually inputting values but it stretched it out even maintaining aspect ratio.

so idk, i guess it could be normal and not a big issue.

Near the bottom of the video tab, there is input resolution and output resolution. Keep your eye on them when selecting settings

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Near the bottom of the video tab, there is input resolution and output resolution. Keep your eye on them when selecting settings

good catch. thanks for that.

so i guess what it did was remove the black bars on top and bottom and might have compressed it.

now in handbrake, after i adjusted the cropping it did.

SourceL 720x480, Output 720x480, Anamorphic 853x480 Strict

and it matches the dvd perfect, thought just like the dvd on Dvdplayer/vlc it has the black bars but atleast the film looks normal and good quality.

i appreciate the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.