Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
The LEFT and DOWN directional arrows on my Mother's MBP just stopped working. All other keys work fine. Does this generally mean I will need to replace the top case? Has anyone out there experienced keys not working, then working again? Could it possibly be the connection to the logic board? Or some dust in an undesired location?

I'm assuming I will have to replace the entire top case, but I'm just hoping someone out there can shed some light on this for me.

thanks

:confused:

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Try resetting SMC and PRAM first

Yep, that is what I would do too.

On my 1st MBP the Z key just stopped working one day (maybe a week after I bought it). The above didn't help and a call to Apple Support could fix it either. I had to send it in but the turn around was like 36 hours. I was so impressed because they also sent me another power adapter for my trouble.

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
nope

reset PRAM and SMC. no dice. :(

anyone have experience swapping the keyboard on an older macbook pro? I used to think the top case and keyboard were connected at the hip, but by looking on eBay for parts, I see this is not so.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
reset PRAM and SMC. no dice. :(

anyone have experience swapping the keyboard on an older macbook pro? I used to think the top case and keyboard were connected at the hip, but by looking on eBay for parts, I see this is not so.

I think the KB can be switched without a new case, not 100% sure though. If there are KB only in eBay, then it likely can be

JonBean

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Arrow Keys don't function like windows

I apologize for bumping into this thread but I can't find another applicable thread and I haven't figured out how to post a new subject.

The arrow thing drives me nuts. I've been a Mac user since 06 and I still can't break the habit of using the right or left arrow keys to move from one box to the next.

For example, delete a podcast and itunes pops up a highlighted selection to "Remove." Hit the enter key and the next window has three options. The default is "Keep File." The logical move would be to press the right arrow to "Move to Trash" but instead, you have to go to the track pad or mouse to select "Move to Trash." Even the Tab key doesn't work!

Is there a terminal fix, or a utility available so I can get my arrow keys back?

thanks,
Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.