Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I recently got an iPad, and I want to be able to use it at work, for work. My problem is, AT&T service sucks here, so I bought the WiFi model, but we don't have WiFi at work — the boss won't allow it.

I have a MacBook Pro that I use, which I connect through ethernet. But I can't create an adhoc wifi network with it, because I'll get in trouble.

Is there a way to pair the iPad with the Mac through bluetooth, or another way, so that I can use the Mac's internet connection, but not create a network that anyone passing by our building can connect to?

I know you can password protect a wifi network, but I can't convince my boss it's secure enough to allow me to use it.

Thanks in advance.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
You can share your macbook pro's internet connection via bluetooth, but I'm not sure if that's something the iPad will be able to utilize. Find that setting in your network preferences.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
AT&T service sucks here, so I bought the WiFi model, but we don't have WiFi at work — the boss won't allow it.

Another option would be to get something like the Verizon MiFi that is assuming that Verizon has better service than AT&T.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
im no expert, but you should be able to hide the broadcast name..... how would your boss ever know if it cant see it? :cool:

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
How would I hide the broadcast name? Because that would do the trick. His daughter has an iPod touch. I had the wifi set up with a name like testing and she spotted it. I'm assuming he'd never figure out it was coming from my desk, but I want to be sure.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
iPad works fine at home on my wifi network. Have wifi everywhere but work. But at work, it would be handy to be able to use there too. If i can't do it, it's no biggie. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an option.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Another option would be to get something like the Verizon MiFi that is assuming that Verizon has better service than AT&T.

Even that would be broadcasting a wireless network, which apparently his boss will not allow.

Supposedly, his boss doesn't want a wireless network for security purposes.

A MiFi wouldn't violate that- it wouldn't touch his company's network.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Supposedly, his boss doesn't want a wireless network for security purposes.

A MiFi wouldn't violate that- it wouldn't touch his company's network.

Oh I see what you're saying. If it's just company security that he's concerned with then you're right, a Mi-Fi would do the trick.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I have a solution

Okay, since cost was never mentioned as a restriction this is one way to get internet.

Step 1.
Sell your iPad Wifi and/or buy a iPad 3G + Wifi.

Step 2.
Purchase a cellular router. After googling for a minute, I found the CradlePoint CBA750 Mobile Broadband Adapter. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

C80-1016_main_image001_im.jpg

Step 3.
Purchase a USB mobile broadband card from whatever carrier offers the best reception at your work plus pay the monthly bill.

usb760.png

Step 4.
Purchase the AT&T 3G MicroCell™. If it's not available in your area, I saw one on eBay.

7a425_microcell-1-crop.jpg

Step 5.
Figure out a way to power these two devices and also allow the MicroCell™ to receive its GPS coordinate fix. Don't forget a small ethernet cable either...

gnomes.png

Step 6.
Setup your new 3G iPad and purchase the data plan. Setup the MicroCell and connect your iPad.

safari_speed_20100225.jpg

Now, enjoy your WiFi-free internet surfing from the office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.