Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Hello,

I'm hoping that someone in the community could enlighten me on this one, as I'm at a total loss.

I have several movies that aren't being copied to my iPad because "the video format is not supported by the iPad".

Here is the odd thing about this. I have other movies that are copied over just fine. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what the difference is!

Here's an example of information on two movies, one that copies and one that doesn't:

Copies:
Format: H.264, 720 x 304, Millions, AAC, 2 Channels, 44100 Hz
FPS: 23.98
Data Size: 1.26 GB
Data Rate: 1,612.04 kbit/s

Doesn't Copy:
Format: H.264, 720 x 400, Millions, AAC, 2 Channels, 44100 Hz
FPS: 23.98
Data Size: 1.05 GB
Data Rate: 1,625.06 kbit/s

What really sends me into a tail spin about this is that I can stream the movies that won't copy to my iPad using AirVideo without any conversion!

I have other movies that successfully copy that are both bigger and smaller (both file size and resolution, at least the 400 dimension), so I don't see either of those as being issues.

So, does anyone have any brilliant ideas about what's going on with this? Thanks.

apatel87

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
What is the extension or container of the file? Are they .mov or mp4? I believe that those are the only ones supported by iTunes and thus the iPad. however, if they are already in iTunes then they must be that format and unfortunately I do not have an answer for you.
Most of my files are avi or mkv which makes them useless unless I convert them and since I cant be bothered to do that I just use Airvideo. Saves me a lot of space and dont have to worry about syncing.
Sorry if that didnt help but that is the only thing I can think of.

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
I have the same problem as well. iTunes is the problem here. This happens to most of my mkv videos that I remux into an MP4. I have no idea why iTunes doesn't accept a playable format. :rolleyes:

What I do is manually transfer my videos to my iPad with DiskAid then I launch the file from iFile. The video plays natively on the iPad just fine.

You can't launch the video from the Video.app though but it's better than re-encoding imo. :D

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Yeah, all of my movies are either .mp4 or .m4v. Strictly speaking, .mov is a container file and can even contain .avi video track. While .mov files with .avi video tracks can be added to iTunes, they cannot be sync'd with iDevices.

So, no, the extension isn't the issue.

Normally, AirVideo is just fine. Right now, I'm getting ready to go on a trip and would like to have certain movies with me on my iPad for watching while on the plane.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I have the same problem as well. iTunes is the problem here. This happens to most of my mkv videos that I remux into an MP4. I have no idea why iTunes doesn't accept a playable format. :rolleyes:

What I do is manually transfer my videos to my iPad with DiskAid then I launch the file from iFile. The video plays natively on the iPad just fine.

You can't launch the video from the Video.app though but it's better than re-encoding imo. :D

You gave me an idea. I bought GoodReader (only $0.99) and I can use it with no problems!

While this doesn't fix the issue of getting the video files into the Videos app, it does mean that I can take them with me. Thanks!

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
What is the audio bit rate? It needs to be 160kbps or less for video. Or at least one audio track that is.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I've noticed that the iPad camera kit can import videos from my camera, whereas if the videos are already imported into iPhoto, they are apparently in the wrong format. :confused:

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
It most likely is the audio bitrate, as Cap T noted.

Nope, that's not it either. The audio bit rates of the two files listed above are 133.65 and 130.87, respectively.

Again, the videos that won't sync play fine, if I can get them there (streamed with AirVideo, or copied with GoodReader), so I don't see that this really is a format issue. It must be an iTunes issue, mustn't it?

billyzenme

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
Why don't you just convert again using QuickTime presets for apple TV.

The video cannot exceed 5Mps at any certain point.

If you actually followed the exact specification during your conversion instead of just remuxing it, then your video should be fine.

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
I had a similar issue with a slide show that I made in iPhoto. I exported it and it played fine in iTunes. Wouldn't sync. I tried to export the slide show again, this time in the smallest export option. Still no sync. Already had GoodReader, so I just transferred using that, and played it in GoodReader. Worked perfectly.

I haven't had time to sit down with it to see what the issue was. What was annoying was that it was a movie made in iPhoto, so I expected it to transfer to the iPad without any issues.

billyzenme

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2009
I had a similar issue with a slide show that I made in iPhoto. I exported it and it played fine in iTunes. Wouldn't sync.

Playing fine in iTunes in your computer doesn't mean iTunes will let you sync it. It merely just means that iTunes can read that file.

Red5403

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
KS
Playing fine in iTunes in your computer doesn't mean iTunes will let you sync it. It merely just means that iTunes can read that file.

Yeah, it didn't even cross my mind that that might be an issue. Of course I figured this out as I had about 3 minutes before I had to run out the door. Oops!

snobny

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2009
SO what format does the ipad take so I can burn movies with Handbrake and covert them correctly, upload to itunes then to my Ipad???

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I converted a movie via Handbrake in Apple TV format and it would not transfer to iPad, used iTunes to convert to iPhone format and worked perfectly.

iTunes has a convert iPad and Apple TV option so I wonder why the Handbrake Apple TV option failed? It was an .mp4 format.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I gave up on the AppleTV preset in Handbrake, just too inconsistent. The Universal setting looks great and every one I've done just copies straight across no problem.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Another nod for the Apple Universal setting in handbrake. I encode everything with this setting and plays fine on my Ipod touches, Iphones, :apple:TV, ipad and of course my Mac.

iLikeScotch

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Ridiculous

I think it's poor form by apple that we pay money for a movie on iTunes and it won't sync to an iPad. I just got this same message for the first time tonight, and it's making me rethink iTunes entirely. This is why I stopped using windows.

We shouldn't have to use software (handbrake or otherwise) to convert it. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy a hard copy from Amazon and rip it on my pc - at least then I'd have an actual backup (not to mention a no-kidding blu-ray).

So much for "it just works" - because it doesn't. I've been pro-apple for 5+ years now.. but this is ridiculous.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think it's poor form by apple that we pay money for a movie on iTunes and it won't sync to an iPad. I just got this same message for the first time tonight, and it's making me rethink iTunes entirely. This is why I stopped using windows.

We shouldn't have to use software (handbrake or otherwise) to convert it. If I wanted to do that I'd just buy a hard copy from Amazon and rip it on my pc - at least then I'd have an actual backup (not to mention a no-kidding blu-ray).

So much for "it just works" - because it doesn't. I've been pro-apple for 5+ years now.. but this is ridiculous.

What iPad?

What resolution video?

iLikeScotch

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
ipad 1 & 1916 x 812

I just realized what happened.

I purchased the movie in question on a different iTunes library (the one connected to my tv) - then imported it to the one I use to sync my iPad. In doing this, only the HD version was transferred - not the SD. I thought both the SD and HD had been transferred (which, in my opinion, they should've).

So I'm in the process now of getting the SD version, which I think will sync.

Last edited:

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I gave up on the AppleTV preset in Handbrake, just too inconsistent. The Universal setting looks great and every one I've done just copies straight across no problem.

I started with the iPad 2 preset and then made some changes to some settings. Works great :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
ipad 1 & 1916 x 812

I just realized what happened.

I purchased the movie in question on a different iTunes library (the one connected to my tv) - then imported it to the one I use to sync my iPad. In doing this, only the HD version was transferred - not the SD. I thought both the SD and HD had been transferred (which, in my opinion, they should've).

So I'm in the process now of getting the SD version, which I think will sync.

Yup. iPad 1 can only play 720p or less.

----------

I started with the iPad 2 preset and then made some changes to some settings. Works great :)

Yup, lots of updates since 2010.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.