Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I've been playing videos for two days, and now any time I try to play one, it won't play at all. It'll just show where it left off for about two seconds (still screen, no sound), then I see the little loading wheel, and then it just sits there. Shows zero minutes of zero minutes. Any button press (play, forward, backward) does nothing. This happens on every video. ???

Weirdly enough, if I use air video to stream them in, they all work.

Any ideas?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Is there a way to see if it's a RAM problem or something? I know I'm reaching, but I don't know what else would cause it. Any help would be appreciated.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Try rebooting. Hold the button on the top and the home button until it let's you swipe to reboot. Like 10-15 seconds.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
This happened to my iPhone before.
I had to delete and resync the videos to fix the problem.
Good Luck!

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I tried re-syncing and it fixed the problem. That really sucks though. Why would that happen? Every single video locks up? I mean really.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
I don't know why it happens. My only guess was a bad sync in the first place. But mine came at the worst time possible when I loaded my videos for a month trip. The only good news is that it never happened before and hasn't happened since.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
solved!

I just experienced this on a plane, heading away from home. spentnall this time syncing movies to watch, and suddenly -- just a black screen in the videos app. Neither soft nor hard resets did the trick, and I'm not at home to sync.

Here's what worked:

I played a few secs of a music video -- initiated by the iPod app (on the iPad). once playback started in the videos app, I paused that video, hit "done," and Then I was able to properly navigate within the videos app.

(Note: just prior, I'd tried downloading a video podcast, but it wouldn't play. My 2nd idea -- the music video -- did the trick. YMMV.)

meghnmorgan

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2011
I don't know if you've received a solution for this problem, but the exact same thing happened to me. I just rebooted the iPad and restarted it and it worked fine. Usually that's the best option first for any issues you get with the iPad. Just hold the power button (not the round one on the front) till the power down screen comes up. Once it's powered down, hold the same button for it to restart.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
I don't know if you've received a solution for this problem, but the exact same thing happened to me. I just rebooted the iPad and restarted it and it worked fine. Usually that's the best option first for any issues you get with the iPad. Just hold the power button (not the round one on the front) till the power down screen comes up. Once it's powered down, hold the same button for it to restart.

in my case, as i noted, i did a hard reset (which involves restarting), which did not work for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.