Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
These are the video requirements for the new iPhone:
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
It looks like the iPhone can handle video better than our old AppleTV's. Any thought on whether all of our files encoded for AppleTV will play on the new iPhone. I suspect they will.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
These are the video requirements for the new iPhone:

It looks like the iPhone can handle video better than our old AppleTV's. Any thought on whether all of our files encoded for AppleTV will play on the new iPhone. I suspect they will.

I noticed last year on a friend's iPod Touch 3rd generation that ALL my videos would play on it, not just ones made specifically to the original iPod Touch specifications. I imagine this is due to real time resizing, possibly from OpenGL support, which doesn't work on earlier generation models (e.g. my 1st generation Touch still only supports one specific resolution that is lower than Apple TV's maximum so most of my videos won't play on it). Basically, I'm saying the ability to play all kinds of video sizes has already been there for awhile now.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
some of us encode blu-rays. i only buy blu-rays now and i like to have digital copies that are compatible with my iphone but also looks good on my laptop.

Title in the first post mentioned DVD. For blu-Ray, use the Apple TV preset at 24fps (25 for pal), and size 1280x720.

If you don't want to insure Apple TV compatibility, you can use up to 30fps.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Title in the first post mentioned DVD. For blu-Ray, use the Apple TV preset at 24fps (25 for pal), and size 1280x720.

If you don't want to insure Apple TV compatibility, you can use up to 30fps.

I've found those settings to be useless, personally. I've had to re-encode so many movies because the end result is "jumpy" video when played back on Apple TV. It cannot handle certain data rates and high peaks. 60 on the quality scale works fine for most DVDs, but when it comes to HD, it's harder to predict here. 60 results in way too many jumpy videos for me to even try anymore for HD sources. 56 seems to work fine for about 50% of the movies I've encoded, but some (e.g. Matrix Reloaded) still showed some signs of problems during the opening "green letter" sequence even at a setting of 50! It'd be nice if you could set not only the average data rate, but a peak limiter so that ATV specs are never exceeded. That would ensure the highest possible quality (maximum steady rate + peak limiter).

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I've found those settings to be useless, personally. I've had to re-encode so many movies because the end result is "jumpy" video when played back on Apple TV. It cannot handle certain data rates and high peaks. 60 on the quality scale works fine for most DVDs, but when it comes to HD, it's harder to predict here. 60 results in way too many jumpy videos for me to even try anymore for HD sources. 56 seems to work fine for about 50% of the movies I've encoded, but some (e.g. Matrix Reloaded) still showed some signs of problems during the opening "green letter" sequence even at a setting of 50! It'd be nice if you could set not only the average data rate, but a peak limiter so that ATV specs are never exceeded. That would ensure the highest possible quality (maximum steady rate + peak limiter).
That's why you define sane values for vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize... these were added to the AppleTV preset a month or two ago, and is available in the nightly build. I encode all Bluray/HDDVDs, including the HDDVD versions of The Matrix Trilogy, at RF20 (which some may say is overkill) and have had zero playback issues streaming to my AppleTVs.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
But will the HD recorded video from iPhone 4 play on Apple TV?

Depends, according to the keynote the hd video captured by the iphone can be as high as 1280 x 720 at up to 30 fps. The atv can not play that back. Only if its 24 fps. Dunno if you can specify that but I would imagine you could. Gonna have to wait and see how it actually works.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Am I the only one who finds it ironic - and annoying - that a phone can play better quality video than Apple TV? Didn't think so.

That's because the Apple TV hardware is four years old, and is not that advanced to begin with.

Although hacked Apple TV's can apparently playback 720/30p without issue, but Apple has it locked down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.