Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sillygoose1988

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2010
Hello
i have an emac usb 2.0 which i'm trying to configure for a relative.
however, as i tried to put a dvd in (a commercial dvd), the emac simply refused to take it and ejected after a few seconds....
however it does accept CD (commercial music stuffs) no problem...
does it mean that my combo drive does not read DVDs?

Also...can anybody tell me why i can't open youtube on Safari.
i've mac os x 10.3.9

thanks a million

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Combo drive suggests that its a combination of CD Burner + DVD Reader, so it shouldn't technically have a problem. That said, eMacs are getting older and if this is the original drive it can be just too old. A drive has to understand the media type for it to work and older DVD drives will not work with many newer DVD media type codes.

That or it is just cranky.

I suggest replacing it with a newer DVD burner, they are super cheap ($20-$30). That way you should be able to read all media, and burn DVDs on top of it! :)

sillygoose1988

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2010
thanks for your help.
quick questions...
would any DVD drive work?
also...is it easy enough to replace it?
thanks so much

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
thanks for your help.
quick questions...
would any DVD drive work?
also...is it easy enough to replace it?
thanks so much

Any IDE drive *should* work. It is far from easy to work on an eMac. I have cursed many times working on my 2. That said there are many guides on the internet on taking apart the eMac so it isn't impossible for the technically challenged, but takes careful reading and patients.

sillygoose1988

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2010
ok thanks for your help.
i'll see if a dvd drive is REALLY needed...
this emac will only be used for basic stuffs...i guess i'll only need dvd drive if i decide to upgrade to Tiger!
anyways thanks for your help

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Some years back, I had to replace the combo drive in our old 1GHz eMac as it quit working too. I simply picked up an ATA Pioneer superdrive off the shelf at Circuit City (ya, a few years back) and its been fine. 10.3 didn't have native support for burning (had to use Toast), but 10.4 and 10.5 do. As far as Safari is concerned, the last version of Safari for Panther is really old and barely supports anything. I have a Clamshell iBook still running 10.3 and went with the last Panther supported version of Camino as the browser. It works great and is about the best option you have for Panther.

TheMythTheMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2010
Yeah replacing the cd/dvd drive is the easiest thing beside memory on the emac.

Regarding youtube n stuff, the graphics cards on emacs are kinda crappy(below the 1.42ghz model). Youtube and most videos are choppy, nothing you can do about that. Its the same for tiger and leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.