Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
So I've been going to safariextensions.tumblr.com and had downloaded half a dozen extensions over the last day or so. Then today I installed the popup status bar and went to check on it in Safari Preferences. When I got there all of my other extensions were missing!

Is this a feature that Apple has enabled while it's in this "semi-beta" mode where you have to enable extensions using the developer mode? Or did my copy of Safari just glitch out? Has anyone else experienced this?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
It seems when you hit the OFF/ON switch and set it to OFF, the extensions disappear, but one can re-open them via the extensions folder.
Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Safari / Extensions.

beaner454

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
You are most right!

Just like that I've got all of my extensions back. I wonder if this is a "feature" or a bug, maybe a little bit of both. For now I'll call it a quirk.

Thanks for your help.

Also I reported this to Apple, others experiencing this I'd encourage to do the same.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Thanks, that worked =] I actually tried that yesterday, but after a minute Windows 7 wasn't showing that as a result. I tried it just now, and after a few minutes, that folder popped up. I need to get a Mac :rolleyes:

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I have had several times where my Feedly extension would vanish. Just like that. It's still present in the Extensions folder and all settings are there, but it isn't in the toolbar. I just add the extension one more time.

If I can just turn the extensions on again by using the slider then that would help - it's just odd.

bibliophile1974

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
It seems when you hit the OFF/ON switch and set it to OFF, the extensions disappear, but one can re-open them via the extensions folder.
Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Safari / Extensions.

Hey spinnerlys and beaner454. Could either of you say a little more about the off/on thing? All I see are the extension files in the folder. I tried reinstalling them but that didn't work. The extensions are gone from my preference window.

Thanks!

OK. No need to reply, unless you have a better fix.
Here's what worked for me:

1) Go to this folder: your home folder/library/safari/extensions

2) Create a new folder within that folder and move all of the contents of the "extensions" folder into the new folder. Put that folder on your desktop.

3) (I'm not sure whether or not this step is necessary.) I then reset safari and restarted my computer.

4) Relaunch safari and open the folder you created and placed on your desktop. Double click one of your trusted extensions and select "install" from the popup window.

5) I might have quit safari once more, but I'm not sure. When I sent back to the extensions preference pane, my reinstalled extension was there.

6) Just repeat the last part of step 4 to get the other extensions back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.