Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Cider or Wine add the necessary windows library functions to allow for software to run on a linux / unix host. Unfortunately, the software is still compiled for an x86 / x86_64 architecture computer - not a powerpc computer.

You would need a cpu emulator like VirtualPC or QEMU to run windows + windows software on a PPC mac.

"Wine is not an emulator"

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Emulation of x86 on PPC is horribly slow even if you go to all the trouble of installing an emulator.

Unless you're on a DC PowerMac G5, then you can get decent speed out of it, nothing spectacular, but more than capable if you're just running the average Windows Form Applications like Microsoft Office etc.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i have virtual pc for mac and it came with windows xp and on my mini g4 1.42 ,its emulating a equivalent of a pentium 3 processor with 600mhz and 256mb ram and it works fine ,ok you wont play games on it :D
but i have to say for the price it costs you nearly get a used pc with a pentium 4 processor , so as i always say you want windows then buy a pc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.