Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Hi...I'm looking at getting an Apple Tv especially for viewing content from Itunes that I would rent or buy, I'm not really interested in ripping content or being able to view many different formats. However, I was wondering 2 things that you guys could help me in my decision :

1. How is the quality on a 42'' 720p HD TV ? Does it upscale from 720p to 1080i when viewing content from the Itunes Store ?

2. Also, I need your opinion : Knowing the recent rumor about a perhaps imminent upgrade of the Apple Tv to a cloud based model, would you rather wait the upgrade or just take the plunge and buy it now ?

Thanks for your help.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
With a 720p TV, the current AppleTV will look as good as your TV can display.* If you are thinking about upgrading your TV, I might consider waiting for the new version. But if this is your TV for the foreseeable future, the current AppleTV will meet your needs quite nicely.

* Frankly, the HD material downloaded from iTMS looks tremendous. You will not be disappointed.

WildGuess

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
I have an Apple box and a Vudu box hooked to an LG 1080p. Vudu rents what they call HDX. It's 1080 and equal to BluRay. Compared to 720 - Apple max - it's night and day.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
With a 720p TV, the current AppleTV will look as good as your TV can display.* If you are thinking about upgrading your TV, I might consider waiting for the new version. But if this is your TV for the foreseeable future, the current AppleTV will meet your needs quite nicely.

* Frankly, the HD material downloaded from iTMS looks tremendous. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks both of you for your advice. I am not looking to change my 720p TV anytime soon as I just got it a month ago, considering that 1080p is not really necessary for me since my cable company only provides 720p/1080i and it won't change in the short term.

Finally took the plunge with the actual ATV and would have to say that so far I'm really satisfied. It does what I was looking for and even more with a simple operation that my wife can use easily without my help.

Thanks again !!!

djdirect

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2010
I too only have a 720p, albeit a 46", but changed the video resolution to1080i on the TV and on the ATV. I rented Sherlock Holmes in HD a week ago and it looked great. I also just rented another movie yesterday in SD and to tell you the truth, it looked just as good.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Thanks both of you for your advice. I am not looking to change my 720p TV anytime soon as I just got it a month ago, considering that 1080p is not really necessary for me since my cable company only provides 720p/1080i and it won't change in the short term.

Glad you like it. We enjoy ours.

On the TV front, properly deinterlaced 1080i from a digital source is 100% equivalent to a 1080p source.

That being said, a choice of 720p for a display is more a function of size and viewing distance. As long as you can't see pixels from your seating position you're good to go.

benoitgphoto

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Glad you like it. We enjoy ours.

On the TV front, properly deinterlaced 1080i from a digital source is 100% equivalent to a 1080p source.

That being said, a choice of 720p for a display is more a function of size and viewing distance. As long as you can't see pixels from your seating position you're good to go.

Well...that brings me a question then...should I keep the Apple TV set to 720p or should I put it to 1080i ?

Thanks...Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.