Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:10 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 4 Launches in U.S., France, Germany, U.K. and Japan

Despite early ordering problems and possible reception issues, the iPhone 4 has had a successful launch worldwide to large crowds. Japan was the first country to see the iPhone 4 go on sale and over 300 people lined up at the flagship store for Softbank, the iPhone 4's Japanese mobile carrier. Softbank sold out of the iPhone 4 by early afternoon.

Regent Street, London, Photo by Rob Smith
France, Germany, and the UK were the next to launch the iPhone 4 and just followed by the U.S. East coast. The lines have been reported to be very long at many of the locations we've heard from. Our own local Apple Store (Richmond, VA) reports their longest lines for any iPhone launch.

Helpful iPhone 4 Resources

Join our iPhone forums to share your experiences or get help with your new device. We've started a few threads for people to get started:

- First Impressions to iPhone 4
- Examples of Photos Taken with iPhone 4
- Examples of Videos Taken with iPhone 4

There's great example in the Photo thread of how powerful the iPhone 4's camera flash is.

AppShopper is a useful site to find new apps and price drops existing apps. Apple has let loose an enormous number of app updates have been released in the past 24 hours to offer support for iOS multitasking as well as support for the iPhone 4's retina display and gyroscope.

The are over 220,000 apps available, but here are a couple of guides to get you started:

- AppShopper: Essential Apps: Getting Started with iPhone 4
- TouchArcade: So You Just Got an iPhone 4 – An App Store Gaming Guide

Article Link: iPhone 4 Launches in U.S., France, Germany, U.K. and Japan

Last edited by arn; Jun 24, 2010 at 06:28 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:19 AM   #2
CalebF
Banned

Send a message via MSN to CalebF Send a message via Yahoo to CalebF
Yellow screen and dropped calls when touching certain key areas for everyone! I kid 'cause I love.
CalebF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
DemNoir
macrumors member

It seems yesterdays attempts at fear mongering had little to no effect. Better luck next launch!
DemNoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:29 AM   #4
valkata
macrumors member

Apple does better job in brainwashing their Cult of Mac followers minds than North Korea does to their people
valkata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:31 AM   #5
CalebF
Banned

Send a message via MSN to CalebF Send a message via Yahoo to CalebF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemNoir View Post
It seems yesterdays attempts at fear mongering had little to no effect. Better luck next launch!
So you mean yellow screens and dropped calls at certain pressure points are totally made up? Looks like someone can't own up to the fact Apple has some dud handsets on their hands (yellowing) and needs to offer a fix for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place (dropped calls when held a certain way). Oh, but let's all go back to the nonsensical jealousy conspiracy theory.

So to summarize, according to DemNoir:

* If a Droid phone were to have some bugs in the first gen (and BOY, not like APPLE would ever have that happen!) = bad build

* An Apple phone has same bugs = made up claims to sabotage meek Apple

lol Yeah, buddy, keep drinking that Kool-Aid.
CalebF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:34 AM   #6
fiddysent
macrumors member

huh, what's all the fuss??? I got mine yesterday
fiddysent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:36 AM   #7
iMattvfs
macrumors newbie

GRR.

I want to know when it will be available in Canada!!

I know about the screen issues, I know about the reception issues, but 2 things.. We all know the cause and fix of the reception issue, and I can just replace the phone if it pissed its self
iMattvfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:40 AM   #8
angevil
macrumors regular

Come on, we want the release dates for other European countries!
angevil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:45 AM   #9
sishaw
macrumors 65816

Buying my phone in Maryland. I'm on this huge line, and they just sent anyone who didn't pre order away. Now it's much shorter!
sishaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:47 AM   #10
chim9999
macrumors regular

Hehe so glad I spent 9 hrs preordering to get mine yesterday.

my project 365
www.carolynCphotography.com
chim9999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:01 AM   #11
bigeyedphish23
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chim9999 View Post
Hehe so glad I spent 9 hrs preordering to get mine yesterday.
I agree, although I only spent 4 hours trying to order mine. I got mine yesterday and adverted those long as lines.

I feel sorry for the people that have to wait in line all night for the phone. I guess pre-ordering and having it shipped to your house is the best way to go!
bigeyedphish23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 08:06 AM   #12
sticky.chicken
macrumors member

Regent Street

I went to Regent Street at 1pm and was told to expect a 3-4 hour wait in the reserved queue.

I'll try again after work, but if it's as long I'll wait or consider buying online. As much as I want one of these, I'm not standing in a bloody line for 4 hours for a phone.

Christ, it's just a phone. My old iPhone 3G still works - sure it's slow and old now, with marks, dents and scratches on the front and back, but it will keep working for another few weeks if I need it to.
sticky.chicken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:17 AM   #13
knatsch
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky.chicken View Post
I went to Regent Street at 1pm and was told to expect a 3-4 hour wait in the reserved queue.

I'll try again after work, but if it's as long I'll wait or consider buying online. As much as I want one of these, I'm not standing in a bloody line for 4 hours for a phone.
Keep us posted once you get there
knatsch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:35 AM   #14
hermes369
macrumors newbie

Augusta, GA here.

The problem here is the time it takes to walk people through the activation process. The store folks are unwilling to separate the line into current AT&T customers with iPhones. This line would move much more quickly were that the case. It's averaging about 12 minutes per customer and apparently the AT&T folks are about to take a break.

Breathing deeply.
hermes369 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:36 AM   #15
iMattvfs
macrumors newbie

They should make a comparison between 3GS pics and iPhone 4 pics
iMattvfs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:56 AM   #16
fusco2223
macrumors newbie

Apple iPhone 4 Quarter Mile Line

Apple Store Line 14th Street NYC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGNs6kvadws
fusco2223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:14 AM   #17
99-Turbo
macrumors newbie

Minneapolis - Southdale Apple Store. Starting waiting about about 5:45 am, got out the door at 9:30 am. There were several hundred in front of me, and more than that behind when I got out. The in-store process was quick and easy, 10 minutes tops.

There seemed to be an equal number of people in the walk-in line as there were in the reserved line. I'd bet most of the walk-ins are going to end up empty-handed.

Here are some pictures - there was an equally long line to get in on the other side of the mall.

Front of the line at 6:30 am:

Thumb resize.

Middle of the line:

Thumb resize.

Back of the line:

Thumb resize.

Line inside the mall at 7:15 or so -- there were an equally large number of people behind me, too.

Thumb resize.

Line looking back from the entrance to the Apple Store at about 9:15 am:

Thumb resize.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jun 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: changed oversized images from IMG to TIMG
99-Turbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:19 AM   #18
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00m42 View Post
Uhh are the first four pictures supposed to be some kind of a joke (they're identical).
Thank god you quoted it all so we could all see them again again.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:16 AM   #19
IronHorse
macrumors newbie

Long Lines

Here is part of the line outside the Apple Store Bridgeport Village in Tigard, Oregon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	233404   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	233405  
IronHorse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:17 AM   #20
realeric
macrumors 6502a

I reserved mine and am waiting in the line for 30 minutes. There are +300 peoples in front of me. I wanted to preorder but could not select it because of server errors on June 15. I have a FAN number.

Last edited by realeric; Jun 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
realeric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:22 AM   #21
Gulo
macrumors member

I stopped by the University District store in Seattle this morning and was like W.T.F. I have a reservation, but there's no way I'm going to wait in a line 100's of people long. I've got work (what the hell do people do that they can wait so long) and only got a few hours of sleep last night as it is.

My questions are thus: does it thin out later say early lunchtime or after work at 4pm? If I don't wait in line at the start, are the reservations going to run out because they're selling to the no res. people? I'm just trying to gauge whether I should just say eff it to the new iPhone and skip all this stupid Beatlemania. That would be especially disappointing because I'm going on a (rare) vacation soon and the new phone would have been wonderful. My 3G is really falling apart (the headphones don't even work anymore). *sigh*
Gulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:36 AM   #22
grmatt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulo View Post
I stopped by the University District store in Seattle this morning and was like W.T.F. I have a reservation, but there's no way I'm going to wait in a line 100's of people long. I've got work (what the hell do people do that they can wait so long) and only got a few hours of sleep last night as it is.

My questions are thus: does it thin out later say early lunchtime or after work at 4pm? If I don't wait in line at the start, are the reservations going to run out because they're selling to the no res. people? I'm just trying to gauge whether I should just say eff it to the new iPhone and skip all this stupid Beatlemania. That would be especially disappointing because I'm going on a (rare) vacation soon and the new phone would have been wonderful. My 3G is really falling apart (the headphones don't even work anymore). *sigh*
They will not sell the "reservation" phones to people without reservations until tomorrow. You can go back anytime today. The lines are sure to thin out as the day goes on.

Yep.
grmatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:40 AM   #23
Gulo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmatt View Post
They will not sell the "reservation" phones to people without reservations until tomorrow. You can go back anytime today. The lines are sure to thin out as the day goes on.
Yipee! Thanks.
Gulo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:41 AM   #24
healthyfatboy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmatt View Post
Not true. They have that caveat in the e-mail stating it's still first come first served. If there are people with reservations all day, chances are you may get one but if the reserved line thins out, they will then sell to walk-ins. Apple told me a few days ago not to come in too late because they'll be gone otherwise, even with a reservation.
healthyfatboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 AM   #25
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Not true. They have that caveat in the e-mail stating it's still first come first served. If there are people with reservations all day, chances are you may get one but if the reserved line thins out, they will then sell to walk-ins. Apple told me a few days ago not to come in too late because they'll be gone otherwise, even with a reservation.
Fatboy - your statement is not consistent with Apple's "reserved" procedure.
Apple Corps is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion