Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
Just got my new iPhone 4 today, and after taking some pictures with it (while holding the phone in a horizontal way), I want to view them in photos.

But when I select the photo and rotate the phone into a horizontal position to have the picture fill the screen, the photo just remains in the same position and doesn't not fill the screen.

Orientation lock is off, and all other apps such as Safari and Email switch between portrait and landscape ok.

Is this a new limitation in iOS 4 / iPhone 4?

saikam

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Me too! Rotating the phone does not change the orientation of the photos. Orientation for other apps rotate just fine, only Photos does not.

I've been searching quite a bit, but haven't found anything. So far, for me, it's happening with only photos I've taken with the new phone. I haven't gotten my photos synched to it yet. For you guys, is this happening regardless of whether or not the photo was taken with the camera?

I initially thought it may be a bug with the new OS, but since I can't find a whole lot on this issue, I'm wondering if it's the phone itself.

Have either of you guys found out anything more?

mintra

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Nope. Haven't found answer yet :-( Both photos from camera and the ones synced from my macbook's iPhoto won't rotate. Safari and other app rotate just fine.

mintra

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah!!!

I found the solution! Go to settings icon>general>reset>reset all settings. Now all the photos rotate as they should. :)

bigmikeyp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Manchester, UK
I hadn't synced my photos over yet either.

MY SOLUTION: I decided to turn the iPhone off and back on (sounds daft now that I hadn't done that before posting!); and after doing that, they are fine and the orientation acts as it should do :)

Does seem like an initial bug though...

saikam

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I hadn't synced my photos over yet either.

MY SOLUTION: I decided to turn the iPhone off and back on (sounds daft now that I hadn't done that before posting!); and after doing that, they are fine and the orientation acts as it should do :)

Does seem like an initial bug though...

I just logged on to report my fix, and now see you guys have figured it out too :)

Yeah, once I had turned the phone off and then on again, and realized that the issue had been resolved, I had that Homer Simpson 'Doh!' moment. In the end, seemed like such an obvious thing to do, and probably should have tried it before posting. :p

saikam

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah!!!

I found the solution! Go to settings icon>general>reset>reset all settings. Now all the photos rotate as they should. :)

Great, glad you found a solution that worked! I took another route this morning and just turned turned the phone off. Upon turning it on again, the issue was resolved.

hylla

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I tried both the power off and the reset all settings options and neither made any difference. Every picture I take appears a different orientation when it arrives in my mail inbox on my Mac.
This, combined with a horrible case of antenna problem and no way to hold the phone without getting errant beeps... and the iphone free case won't deliver for five weeks... oy.
Help!

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Haha I have the same problem. I'll try the solutions listed above to see if they fix it. I haven't synced it with my computer yet either.

Oheliot

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
So simple

I'm surprised all I had to do was power cycle (turn on/off) and here I was starting to worry... Troubleshooting 101 :b thanks for the tips!

SnowDogg

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
iPhone 4 Photos do not rotate

I struggled with this recently & on one occassion, powering off the iPhone & restarting did actually work.

Later, it just would NOT rotate, bit I noticed a little status symbol at the top of my screen. A little investigation discovered this:
- Double click the bottom button on your iPhone 4
- Slide right until you get the little "Rotate" icon beside the iPod controls
- Simply click on that & photo rotation will be enabled again.

Worked for me - best of luck!

Snowdogg

VDizzle

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Brilliant!

I struggled with this recently & on one occassion, powering off the iPhone & restarting did actually work.

Later, it just would NOT rotate, bit I noticed a little status symbol at the top of my screen. A little investigation discovered this:

Snowdogg

Had the same problem, thanks! :)

Linda1104

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Rotation

Doulble click home button( on bottom of phone) swipe to left, u will see the rotation icon.

Stevieeh

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012

Snowdogg

Thank you Snowdog
I think this might be the "proper way" to do it.
Also I now know how to lock it if I need to.
Off and on again (what I jokingly call a master reset) didn't work for me.
I'm never keen on the "reset all settings" having lived with a jail broken 3 for years, not wanting to reset things I had to set myself.

bethbeth

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
great solution to orienting photo on iphone!! thank you

great solution thank you!!!
Yeah!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.