Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Hello!

I have the Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse and am wondering if I need to turn these off when I put the computer to sleep. I noticed the light goes out automatically on the mouse when the computer is asleep, but would sliding the cover shut conserve more battery power? What do you do?

Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
turning off the mouse and keyboard each will conserve more power than letting them 'sleep' but personally i use rechargeable batteries so i just let them sleep, they can be set to wake your computer from sleep, which is nice, but also does require them to stay on

but to answer your question directly, turning them off will save more battery power, and it will take like 2 seconds for it to reconnect to your computer

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
FWIW, I seem to need to change my BT keyboard batteries only about twice a year or so as it is (and I use it extensively), so, while I agree that turning it off would extend that time, it's not like you'll be throwing new batteries in every week if you don't.

I don't have the BT mouse, so I can't comment on its battery life.

photocat

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2004
fourteen days...

The batteries in my first BT mouse lasted fourteen days. The keyboard still has the first batteries in it.
I am thinking of rechargeables too, saving on price and more eco friendly.
I hope the mouse does not run out every fourteen days...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
photocat said:
The batteries in my first BT mouse lasted fourteen days. The keyboard still has the first batteries in it.
I am thinking of rechargeables too, saving on price and more eco friendly.
I hope the mouse does not run out every fourteen days...

i attempted Diablo 2 with my wireless mouse, let me tell you, BAD IDEA

games like that totally drain the batteries very rapidly, thats why i have a wired mouse just for games (with more buttons too) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.