Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perryj

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
When I mail a pic from my iPhone 4 the recipient sees it upside down or sideways !! Arrrhhhh ! What's going on ?

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I noticed you have to turn the phone sideways to take regular photos that send right side up. If you take pictures with the phone held upright (camera on top and home button on the bottom) then it sends the pictures sideways. Found this out by experimentation!

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Videos too. They also show up sideways when you view them from the phone via Explorer. There's a bunch of people with this issue on Apples forums too.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Same here do you guys have iPhone 4s? I noticed it with my new iPhone but never with the 3GS.

What is up with that? How can I fix this crap?!

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
Same here do you guys have iPhone 4s? I noticed it with my new iPhone but never with the 3GS.

What is up with that? How can I fix this crap?!

Yes, same problem here. I'm sure if Apple would make a statement about all the problems they are having, they would say the're going to fix it with the phantom upgrade they talked about 1 1/2 weeks ago.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
So what is the fix have you contacted Apple? I better not even hear manually rotate each picture upside down

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Hold the phone in landscape and snap your pictures or take your video if you plan on transferring them to another medium aside from your iPhone. Even if they don't rotate, they look like complete crap.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Hold the phone in landscape and snap your pictures or take your video if you plan on transferring them to another medium aside from your iPhone. Even if they don't rotate, they look like complete crap.

So you are saying there is a right and wrong way to take pictures, thus one way they will look (quality) like crap?

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
The issue here is Apple's "multitasking" feature causing havoc. If your camera app is in the queue then any pics taken in landscape or portrait mode will freeze there. Had this issue happen last night when taking pictures at dinner. Simply kill the camera app from the queue and everything will be back to normal. I am hopeful Apple realizes this is an issue. Also, I don't like having to refresh apps like Facebook and Echofon every time I log into them. I have to kill the apps out of the multitasking queue in order for them to refresh automatically.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
This isn't new, and it isn't an issue with multitasking.

The iPhone is designed to be used as a wide lens camera.

Turn the phone sideways when taking pics or video if you intend to mail them.

Your phone will display them correctly, because it "knows" how you took them, but the computer that you're sending them to does not "understand."

This has been consistent on every iPhone since the first.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
This has been consistent on every iPhone since the first.

I disagree. It was not until the iP4 that I noticed upside down pictures on my computer. Now I have not done extensive testing before as it was never needed on my old 3G, so I'll leave the door open that maybe it IS some legacy issue as you suggest. But I now have several videos and pictures on my computer that are disoriented from the iP4 (or perhaps iOS4, I never installed it on my 3G). At the least, when saving them down to the "disk" I would think the OS would flag the correct viewing orientation in some way. If that information is not being captured correctly then that is a short coming of the OS/App.

Funny, with all the attention being directed towards this senseless (IMO) antenna issue, there does seem to be some overlooked genuine nips-and-tucks that are needed to the whole system in general. I do love it, but it is rough around the edges.

Cheers

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I upload pix to a picture site using the iPhone email app. Along with the pic is a bunch of metadata and one of the fields is "Orientation". If the picture is rotated from the original orientation, this field exists and contains a value of 90. 180 and 270. I suppose this is what the app did, not what you need to do to make it look normal. If the picture is unchanged from what you took, the field is missing entirely. Why does it do this? Who knows. But I'm guessing picture software is supposed to look at this field to determine what to do with it. More importantly, it would be nice if I had the option to turn it off and just send the picture the way I took it. I never noticed it before because I used another app to send full sized pix before and it didn't screw with the pix in that manner. Since iOS4 gives you the option of sending the full sized pix using the stock email app, that's what I started using and that's when it started doing this.

It has nothing to do with multitasking because it's not a mistake, the software knows what it did.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
This is the way it has always been, since iPhone 1.

so that makes it a non issue? I don't understand. Just because something seems buggy then it's not any less buggy now. The only difference is - you're basically saying Apple doesn't care to fix it or offer a way to rotate the image before sending.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I disagree. It was not until the iP4 that I noticed upside down pictures on my computer. Now I have not done extensive testing before as it was never needed on my old 3G, so I'll leave the door open that maybe it IS some legacy issue as you suggest. But I now have several videos and pictures on my computer that are disoriented from the iP4 (or perhaps iOS4, I never installed it on my 3G). At the least, when saving them down to the "disk" I would think the OS would flag the correct viewing orientation in some way. If that information is not being captured correctly then that is a short coming of the OS/App.

Funny, with all the attention being directed towards this senseless (IMO) antenna issue, there does seem to be some overlooked genuine nips-and-tucks that are needed to the whole system in general. I do love it, but it is rough around the edges.

Cheers

sorry but I disagree with you! I have a 3gs and it is still on 3.1.3 and I have the same issue. it has nothing to do with the multitasking at all.

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
so that makes it a non issue? I don't understand. Just because something seems buggy then it's not any less buggy now. The only difference is - you're basically saying Apple doesn't care to fix it or offer a way to rotate the image before sending.

I wouldn't call it a "bug" because it's intentional as evidenced by the Orientation field. If you don't like and don't want any doubt as to how the picture is being sent, there is 3rd party software which will send it in it's original orientation with no metadata. Use that instead of Apple's email.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
If I want to make a picture show up in the right-side-up orientation do I have any other option besides only taking pictures with the volume buttons on the bottom and the home button on the right side of the phone?

I'm another person who would swear I never had this problem on my iPhone 3G or 3GS and only seem to have noticed it on my iPhone 4....but if others are saying that its always been there, I'll accept that.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
As an aside, I tried searching for people complaining of this problem in previous iPhone release years (2007-2009) and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem, which makes me think even moreso that this problem is a iOS 4.0 problem...

For users who are on a pre-4.0 firmware version, can you try again to take a picture with the phone in its normal top-bottom position (home button on the bottom) and see what the picture's orientation is when you email it to someone? Thank you!

When I email pics to myself in Gmail, the thumbnail always shows the correct orientation however when I click on 'view' to see the full size image, it is always rotated CCW 90 degrees.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
As an aside, I tried searching for people complaining of this problem in previous iPhone release years (2007-2009) and can't seem to find anyone who has had this problem, which makes me think even moreso that this problem is a iOS 4.0 problem...

For users who are on a pre-4.0 firmware version, can you try again to take a picture with the phone in its normal top-bottom position (home button on the bottom) and see what the picture's orientation is when you email it to someone? Thank you!

When I email pics to myself in Gmail, the thumbnail always shows the correct orientation however when I click on 'view' to see the full size image, it is always rotated CCW 90 degrees.

you are not listening.............IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 4.0 SOFTWARE...........I have a 3gs and several 3g's and none are running 4.0 and all have the same issue. just because the OP is the first to bring this up does not mean its not the case. it is not a bug its the way it was designed. now lets let this dog lie.

iPhone Addict

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Ok, I definitely believe you that it is on previous firmwares also, but my question is this:

If I want a picture to be properly oriented right side up, do I have any alternative other than holding the iPhone with the home button on the right side and the camera lens on the left side for every single shot?

I don't understand the 'orientation' feature if I can only shoot a picture from one position of the camera.

Please forgive me for not understanding, I simply am trying to figure out how to best use the phone's camera.

Thank you.

Phantom1812

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
What really has annoyed me about the updates, is that images no longer email/send with the filename. I get photo1, photo2...so if you choose to send a couple in a few emails, it's a pain to save them to another device without effectively being forced to rename every file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.