Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Hey everyone, I've had my iPad for just over a month now, and so far it's been great. Over the past couple of days, I've noticed that my iPad is losing battery while I leave it in standby on my desk. While I sleep, the iPad loses between 4-7% of the battery. It can't be anyone else in the house because I've got a password lock on it and no one would really be interested anyway. As far as I can tell, there's no major problem while I'm using the iPad, but I'm going to try a video test this weekend.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on what I do? Oh and I keep the iPad connected to wifi, and it receives push notifications every now and then. Thanks for the help!!

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Hey everyone, I've had my iPad for just over a month now, and so far it's been great. Over the past couple of days, I've noticed that my iPad is losing battery while I leave it in standby on my desk. While I sleep, the iPad loses between 4-7% of the battery. It can't be anyone else in the house because I've got a password lock on it and no one would really be interested anyway. As far as I can tell, there's no major problem while I'm using the iPad, but I'm going to try a video test this weekend.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tips on what I do? Oh and I keep the iPad connected to wifi, and it receives push notifications every now and then. Thanks for the help!!
All devices lose battery in standby. If I leave my laptop fully charged and untouched, it will eventually drain.
I don't recall seeing a specific "standby" time listed by Apple. But I think it was stated in the keynote that it was something like 30 days.
I think what you have is nothing out of the norm. Don't worry about it.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
L-Ion batteries can loose 1% or more a day. My iPad can go several days and only loose a few %.

Is it possible that your iPad is checking for your mail while sleeping? What software is running. There can be data requested with a lot of software.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

It's to be expected. Standby is neither hibernation nor a shutdown, the device is literally "standing by" and waiting to get back into action. When you only use the remote to switch off your TV, the TV also still consumes power, because it's also only on standby. You have to use the power switch on the TV to fully turn it off. Your iPad does the same thing.

Let it perform a full shutdown if you do not want it to consume power.

pfft

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
How can someone see several posts spelling 'lose' correctly, yet still spell it 'loose'?

Just wondering.

aljlin

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
CA
Even during standby the iPad is using a little battery far less than when Is used. As noticed when apple announced the iPad they announced the length of time that it would last being used and also standby time. This is a little more when you have 3G. Things that do get Performed during standby are email checks and also any push notifications, and also if you have an alarm etc. It's not much power drain but a little power drain nonetheless.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
One other thing I noticed is that all this time I thought I had push email off and manual fetch. But when you click on gmail and go to advanced setting there is actually another area where you have to turn off fetch for gmail only. So my iPad was fetching gmail overnight, pinging the server via wifi. Try turning that off as a test.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.