Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1
chefwong
macrumors regular

GoodReader - How are you using it to sync files

I'm thinking *FTP* is the way to go...but I'd love to use GoodReader on my iPad to keep a organized *sync* of all folders and everything that is dumped to it. The bigger goal is to have it sync whether I'm in the office or out of the office.

This way, I can say, John, please drop XYZ of serverfolder X (in theory this would be the folder the FTP is serving) and then whether I'm on the LAN...or off the internal network, I can *sync* and see files for review.

Just curious how ya'll are using GoodReader to Sync
chefwong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Sounds like you should look into Dropbox.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:37 AM   #3
iThinman
macrumors regular

Not all work places are real keen on the idea of external hosting services for their confidential data thanks though.

I copy a set of my main share files to my iPad with goodreader sync client. Then, I've been pulling files as-needed, FTP, from that same share. Since I do fairly limited editing of data right now on here, I manually place back (FTP, email to myself and move at desktop or send to someone else) any files i do modify on an as-needed basis.

I haven't had time to play with it long, but I was able to connect UNC to the goodreader folder when i first played with it. If I can get it to map a windows drive letter to the folder, should be able to use RichCopy to do some auto synchronization, but i just haven't played with it yet.
iThinman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
chefwong
macrumors regular

UNC is fine but to KISS....

The envisionment is

LAN share \\server\folder share (FTP login would be married to this)

This will serve as a easy folder where I can have any employee drop whatever, if not keep a organized folder structure.

From there, from a usability standpoint, I would just *sync*. Bear in mind I do not have Ipad or Goodreader in hand, but this is my ~envisionment~ of how it would operate. IF I can make this work in the following scenario, this would make most sense from a day2day operating setup...
chefwong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 02:10 PM   #5
iCheddar
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to iCheddar
So is the goal to just have files sync, or to have them sync in real time?

The option I'm using right now is Goodreader on iPad + Chronosync on Mac.

I have a sync file setup on my Mac, pointed at a folder on my drives and pointed at good reader when it's wirelessly mounted, and I'm able to bidirectionally sync between the two. Works great.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCheddar View Post

I have a sync file setup on my Mac, pointed at a folder on my drives and pointed at good reader when it's wirelessly mounted, and I'm able to bidirectionally sync between the two. Works great.
This sounds extremely intriguing to me. Please elaborate
Old Sep 13, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
thefiction
macrumors newbie

Real Time Syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCheddar View Post

Great app, but is there no option to enable syncing in real time? I have more than 50 files that I sync on a regular basis. Most of the time the files are uploaded by my coworkers throughout the day so I will have no idea if there are updated files unless I press the sync button at random times.

Does anyone know of a feature to have it sync instantly and automatically as files are changed? (Push updates, if you will).

I apologize if this was answered in another thread already, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. Thanks!

EDIT: I use Box.net on a Windows 7 PC to sync with GoodReader.

Last edited by thefiction; Sep 13, 2011 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Additional Info
thefiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad