Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
I'm having trouble getting my Clamshell to boot into the OS9 installer. I do not have the original copies of the OSs that came with the computer, but I'll tell you what I do have: 9.0.4 and 9.2.1, both on CD. However, neither of these can boot the machine. It goes through the motions as if it's looking at the CD, then just switches to the grey Apple logo and moves on. Holding down the Option key at boot does not show me an option to boot from the disc in the drive.

Is there a way to get OS9 installed on here now that Tiger is already installed? I could start from scratch, but I don't want to if I don't have to, and besides that, if I could start from scratch you'd think the system could boot off the CDs. Do I need another version of OS9 to get it to work? Here are the system's ROM version and specs.

Machine Name: iBook
Machine Model: PowerBook2,2
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (22.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 467 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
Memory: 576 MB
Bus Speed: 67 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.7f4
Serial Number: UV10100EK1L
Sales Order Number: Z02J00K7T

Thanks for any help.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
best luck i've had with older systems capable of running os9 has been either plain old 9.0.0 or retail 9.1

the 9.2.x won't work because is was an afterthought for classic mode and a point upgrade. don't know why the other won't work. best of luck.

drewdle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Thanks everyone. I have some old audio equipment and software I wanted to play with in OS 9 as I figured I'd have a better chance at running a multitrack system without the overhead of OS X (hey, if a PowerMac 9600 can do it...)

I'll give those thoughts a try.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Your Clamshell needs 9.04 minimum.
I've booted my Clamshell from 9.04 PowerMac G4 dedicated (gray) install disc. This way i've installed OS 9 on tangerine Clamshell with no probs.
Disc images (if downloaded) should be burned with Disk Utility, otherwise could be non bootable.
To install OS 9 correctly:
- clone your OS X partition to external drive (you can skip this if you'll want to do clean OS X install later)
- manage to boot from OS 9 disc
- use Drive Setup to create OS 9 partition (it must be in first 8GB area of the drive - leave rest for OS X)
- install 9 onto this 8GB partition and update it to desired version (9.1/9.2)
- clone/reinstall OS X on bigger partition
- enjoy your dual boot Clamshell :)

This worked for me with Tangerine one. On 466 I got OS X only, but procedure is that same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.