Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mangydog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Hi all, apologies for the long post but I have several pent-up questions:

I bought a Powerbook 15" in May of this year. The Apple store saleswoman suggested that I buy a Marware keyboard cover to protect my screen (http://www.marware.com/keyboardcovers.html). She explained that the low clearance of the keyboard meant that the keys would leave dents in the screen without this nifty accessory. I started using the keyboard protector as soon as my Powerbook was delivered.

As early as one month later I could see my keyboard imaged as perfect little squares whenever the slightest glare hit my screen. Now, six months later, these indentations are quite distracting. I have only closed the Mac without the neoprene maybe 5 or 6 times, so I'm pretty sure it's not lack of use that's causing this. Adding insult to injury I now notice a mark at the top of the screen that seems to match the trackpad and its button. The most upsetting part is that a work friend has the same model Powerbook, doesn't use any keyboard protection, and his screen is flawless!

A month ago I took the mac in to the genius bar for an unrelated issue. The tech explained that the marks on the screen were actually from finger oils and not key indentations (is that true?). I've cleaned the screen repeatedly with iKlear solution as the tech suggested, but to no avail.

Can anybody describe conclusively how/why these marks are on my screen? Is there a way to get rid of them? Can you prevent them? Do you think Apple would help me since I followed their directions exactly and still have this issue? (I did buy the Applecare extended warranty.)

Two more issues:
1) There is a circular spot in the center of my screen that is *much* brighter than the rest of the screen. It's as if the backlight is stronger in this spot. In addition, there's a semi-circle of brighter area in a ring around that spot. It almost coincides with the embossed apple logo on the outside of the case. Does anybody else see this? Is it normal?

2) How many stuck pixels does one need before Apple deems the display replaceable?

Thanks in advance for any help,
- Darren

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I also have a 15" PB, so I'll try to offer what I know ...

Even if you use a sheet between your keyboard and the screen, it's still possible to get indentations. How are you carrying your PB? If it's in a bag with a ton of books, that could be the problem. If it's in a bag with just a few books, but you lay the bag down flat, the pressure of the few books (or whatever else) will press your Powerbook's screen into the keyboard. I always try to keep my bag upright so that I don't get indentations ... however, a friend of mine with the same PB (and your same Marware thing!) lays his bag down flat. Indeed, the image of the keyboard is apparent in his PB's screen.

It's possible that your PB's screen marks are from finger oils. Depending on how long it's been there, I don't know if that damage can be reversed. For what it's worth, I had an old laptop that had some keyboard imprints / finger oils on the screen, and I successfully got it out with a little blue LCD spray that 3M sells. I don't know if the marks came out because I tended to them in a short period of time or because it was good screen cleaner. I imagine, though, iKlear is the same sort of deal?

1) There is a circular spot in the center of my screen that is *much* brighter than the rest of the screen. It's as if the backlight is stronger in this spot. In addition, there's a semi-circle of brighter area in a ring around that spot. It almost coincides with the embossed apple logo on the outside of the case. Does anybody else see this? Is it normal?

I have this too, but it's diagonal / above left from the Apple logo. This kind of anomaly is the sort of thing that Applecare should cover.

2) How many stuck pixels does one need before Apple deems the display replaceable?

I don't think Apple makes this information public, but it's typically "a couple." I would guess 5, though I really have no clue. (Just found: Possible info)

Thanks in advance for any help,
- Darren

You're welcome. Welcome to Macrumors, and thank you for writing a clear, concise, easy-to-follow post. :) That made me want to write an equally clear, concise, easy-to-follow post ... or at least an attempt at one. :p

ckpg99

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2004
Mission, KS
I have a 14" iBook G4 that I carry around all the time to class. When I first got it (borrowing from my parents), I noticed nice little outlines of the keyboard. I got a RadTech screen saver (http://www.radtech.us), and it seems to have done a great job of preventing any further marks. It also works nice for cleaning up any spots from any other smudges on the screen. I like this cover better than the marware since it also covers the areas of the laptop where your hands rest while typing, rather than just the keyboard itself as the marware does.

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
ckpg99 said:
I have a 14" iBook G4 that I carry around all the time to class. When I first got it (borrowing from my parents), I noticed nice little outlines of the keyboard. I got a RadTech screen saver (http://www.radtech.us), and it seems to have done a great job of preventing any further marks. It also works nice for cleaning up any spots from any other smudges on the screen. I like this cover better than the marware since it also covers the areas of the laptop where your hands rest while typing, rather than just the keyboard itself as the marware does.

I, too, have the RadTech screen saver, but I have the dreaded keyboard marks!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I've been using two sheets of plain copy paper in my TiBook for three years now; no marks. The screen is still perfect, even though I travel with it extensively.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
daveL said:
I've been using two sheets of plain copy paper in my TiBook for three years now; no marks. The screen is still perfect, even though I travel with it extensively.

Yeah, but you paper doesn't have a cool debossed and burnished PowerBook logo on it like my cool RadTech cloth, does it? :rolleyes: :p

Actually, I know a few people who just use the Tyvek protector that the laptop shipped with, and have no complaints at all. Me, I'm far too trendy for that! :p :p

mangydog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies so far, but I can't tell what the consensus is here: are the marks usually caused by excess pressure, by finger oils deposited on the keys and trackpad, or both?

Has anybody successfully complained to Applecare about this issue and had their screen corrected/cleaned/replaced?

By the way, I carry my laptop in a Timbuk2 bag back and forth from work. The bag has a padded area for the laptop and I rarely carry books or other material that would place pressure on the machine.

Thanks again,
- Darren

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
My TiBook screen has marks from the keyboard and the trackpad. I used a plastic polish made by Meguiar's to get the marks off, then cleaned the screen with a light soap and water solution. The screen came out great! I can only see the marks when it's off now, which I can live with.

However, I took a chance in trying this stuff on my screen. My crap shoot worked out ok, but I can't stress enough to BE CAREFUL what you use on your plastic pieces! A lot of chemicals will break down the plastic, and essentially ruin your screen.

Here's what the stuff looks like (blue bottle):
classic-motoring_1813_19497898.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.