Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthew24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
I got a weird 'problem'. I recently started to protect my wireless-router. I order to do this I had to enter the mac-adresses into the Firewall-part of my SMC modem/router. After I did this, it is no longer possible to go to the internet through the cable connection.

What is working:
Wireless (so I don't have a real problem :) )
My Powerbook does see my Powermac. (The shares are working, but ping doesn't work)

Does anybody have a clue? Just curious. Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
matthew24 said:
I got a weird 'problem'. I recently started to protect my wireless-router. I order to do this I had to enter the mac-adresses into the Firewall-part of my SMC modem/router. After I did this, it is no longer possible to go to the internet through the cable connection.

What is working:
Wireless (so I don't have a real problem :) )
My Powerbook does see my Powermac. (The shares are working, but ping doesn't work)

Does anybody have a clue? Just curious. Thanks.
Often times with routers you have to clone the MAC address of the first machine you connected to it in order for it to allow Internet access - it's one of those weird ISP things, and it's annoying. I did this for someone else a little while ago, and the Internet mysteriously started working again.

matthew24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
addition

Both computers are working, only the powerbook can access the internet through wireless. (Powermac uses cable and internet works)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.