Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Original iPhone 2G Why do so many still use it

With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????

I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I bought a second hand 2g phone the other day after my 3GS got smashed and it gave me a reason to get one as I'll sell the other on ebay and make a bit of a profit after it's fixed.

I've loved every moment with my new purchase though. It's not as fast as it only has 128mb of RAM and only 2g speeds but it feels like quality, not the plastic back like the 3G or 3GS it is aluminium which just feels awesome. It is also a lot more duribal as all it took was a hit from a football to break my 3GS but my old 2G before it was stolen could take a huge beating and I did drop it a few times.

That's why I like the original so much anyway.
Merthyrboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3
uberamd
macrumors 68030
 
uberamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Minnesota
The 1st gen is a classic design. I personally love the design of it and if the iPhone 4 had just been the 4 internals in a 1st gen shell I would have loved the device to death. It was a sweet phone.
__________________
My Rants - Latest: Android on the 1st gen iPod Touch
i7 rMBP 15" - Apple TV Classic 160GB Modded - iPhone 5 White - iPhone 4 Black
uberamd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I know it's just iPhone not iPhone 2G but in conversation people usually think I refer to the newest one so I call it that to avoid confusion.
Merthyrboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Ferris23
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
How anyone can use an Edge only smartphone is beyond me.
Ferris23 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I loved the 1st gen and tbh if they would have released it with 3G I would still be using it. It was a solid phone and once 2.0 was release apps made it more of a classy geek gadget.

The 3G was a nice phone but all that plastic was ott. I'm back to being happy now the ip4 is in my hands and I'm glad I did buy every cycle of the iPhone as I'm now happier with my ip4.
__________________
iPad 3 4G 64Gb - iPad 2 3G 64Gb - iPad 3G 32Gb - iPhone 2g 8Gb - iPhone 3g 8Gb - iPhone 3gs 16Gb - iPhone 4 32Gb -iPhone 4s 64Gb - MacBook unibody Alu - mac mini i5 2.5Ghz - mac mini 2Ghz
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Not everyone needs a new phone every year or two, I know some people still rocking the original razr v3. To some people it's just not that important that they will go out and spend a couple hundred bucks and sign a two year contract when the phone they currently have is working fine.

As for the guy complaining about the speed, I hope he realizes that getting another iPhone won't help with that, but maybe he just likes the look and feel?
Fernandez21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:12 AM   #8
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because for those of us that bought the iPhone when it came out, we know how awesome it feels. The iPhone is the best phone ever. I think only the iPhone 4 can scratch its heels.

Also it's called the iPhone not iPhone 2G.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:22 PM   #9
L I G H T I N G
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Because for those of us that bought the iPhone when it came out, we know how awesome it feels. The iPhone is the best phone ever. I think only the iPhone 4 can scratch its heels.

Also it's called the iPhone not iPhone 2G.
so is it

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

or is it

iPhone
iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
L I G H T I N G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:20 AM   #10
Ke1ington
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by L I G H T I N G View Post
so is it

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

or is it

iPhone
iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
The first. Some call the original "2G" for whatever reason.
__________________
- K
Ke1ington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #11
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke1ington View Post
The first. Some call the original "2G" for whatever reason.
It could have been because the original iPhone operated on 2G networks and the iPhone 3G operated on 3G networks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveting View Post
I sold it not long time ago. I think it is a better phone than iphone 3g (of course apart from not being able to use 3g). It was so easy to unlock unlike any model afterwards. It was the most durable phone as well. It has the same speed as iphone 3g. In fact, it is usually faster because the latest OS for iphone is iOS 3.13 while the iphone 3g runs like crap if it is upgraded to iOS 4.
It has the same speed as the iPhone 3G because the only improvement the iPhone 3G brought to the table was that it operated on 3G networks rather than 2G (so faster data speeds).
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816
 
Spectrum Abuser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
It could have been because the original iPhone operated on 2G networks and the iPhone 3G operated on 3G networks

----------



It has the same speed as the iPhone 3G because the only improvement the iPhone 3G brought to the table was that it operated on 3G networks rather than 2G (so faster data speeds).
The iPhone 3G did have one other improvement minus the price reduction. It had a GPS chip inside of it. The original had to use cellular triangulation to give a rough estimate of your 'area'. But the UMTS/HSDPA radio was limited at a theoretical 3.6Mbps in the best conditions so the '3G' is more like basic broadband internet now.
__________________
iPad Mini Retina 16GB WiFi - iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T) - 21.5" iMac 2.5Ghz i5 (2011)
Spectrum Abuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:15 AM   #13
eternlgladiator
macrumors 68000
 
eternlgladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Twin Cities
I'm still using my 2g iPhone. The only feature I miss on a regular basis is MMS. I wouldn't mind the new features but I'm content to wait until the white iPhone 4 comes out. There's no 3G coverage in the city I live in right now so it really doesn't matter. Beyond the system itself running faster I won't see that big of a change. I'm aware of all the other differences but I'm not that worried about it. Plus I still think my iPhone is the best looking one they made with the new 4 coming in a close second. I can't even tell you how many times I've dropped my phone and it continues to run like a champ. I just recently dropped it on the pavement in a parking lot. Made a dent about the size of the camera about 1/4" below the camera. Picked it and turned it on like nothing happened. I haven't used a case for all but maybe a month of my ownership. Best phone I've ever had.
__________________
2011 MacBook Air 1.8 i7
iPhone 5 White 32GB
iPad Mini White 32GB Wifi
eternlgladiator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:32 PM   #14
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????


I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....
I did, ....to a Samsung Vibrant

T-Mobile user, ......didnt want to upgrade to a 3G or 3GS. Would of liked to get a iP4, but they are too expensive to still be on EDGE so i went to the best Android phone awaiting 2.2 real soon. Maybe by 2012 when i can upgrade, iPhone goes to other carriers or, i may like what Android has even more by then.

Who knows!
But tell ya what, My 2G was a good phone for two years. Only thing wrong is the silence button is broke. Other than that, the display is in excellent shape and so is the back. I even made it louder by taking the black cover off and removing the tape they had over the holes on the bottom.

Mine is jailbroken so ive always had MMS and video recording while you guys were suffering with Apple & AT&T holding you back. Have watched many TV shows on it which you non jailbreakers cant do unless you have a slingbox and pay for it,

I know the people who own THIS site/business for iPhones so i can get mine fixed for free. For any of you who need work, they do em all including iPads and have two stores now. So it makes sense for me to get another iPhone since i dont really have to worry about warranty on it, but.......times are tough and i couldnt spend what it would cost to get a iP4.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Aug 2, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:33 PM   #15
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
I came really close to selling my OG recently because the battery is close to shot until I realized:

1. It's a collector's item
2. I will always be able to get the att unlimited data plan back on my account with it
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:27 AM   #16
gettysburg11s
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I used to have an iPhone 4 and I didn't like the design and sold it. I now have an original iPhone. The design is way better, and I can still do everything I did before. The only time the slow Edge connection gets in the way is when I do Google Maps or download apps. The other g ood thing is unlimited data with 200 text messages for $20.00 a month. You can't beat that. I will probably upgrade to an iPhone 5 when it comes out, but it depends on what it brings to the table. Otherwise, I may move to an iPhone 3GS next February. My needs are modest, but having 3G would be nice (its not that important, but good to have once and a while).
gettysburg11s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:03 AM   #17
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Original iPhone 2G Why do so many people still use it



..........to get grandfathered in to unlimited data
NikeTalk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 09:45 AM   #18
nawras94
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternlgladiator View Post
I'm still using my 2g iPhone. The only feature I miss on a regular basis is MMS. I wouldn't mind the new features but I'm content to wait until the white iPhone 4 comes out. There's no 3G coverage in the city I live in right now so it really doesn't matter. Beyond the system itself running faster I won't see that big of a change. I'm aware of all the other differences but I'm not that worried about it. Plus I still think my iPhone is the best looking one they made with the new 4 coming in a close second. I can't even tell you how many times I've dropped my phone and it continues to run like a champ. I just recently dropped it on the pavement in a parking lot. Made a dent about the size of the camera about 1/4" below the camera. Picked it and turned it on like nothing happened. I haven't used a case for all but maybe a month of my ownership. Best phone I've ever had.
you know you can get mms and video record from cydia just update to latest version jailbreak it then you will find mms video record
or download whited00r (Full) its ios4
on 3.1.3 has all ios 4 features
just msg me if you need help
nawras94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
With all the new features of the newer phones and the speed of 3G why do you keep your old 2G iPhone?

I was at a resturant this weekend, and I had my 3GS and some guy was using an original iPhone complaining the speed was really slow, so I asked him why he doesn't just upgrade, and he said he was getting a new one, so I said ok which one 3GS, or iPhone 4 he sais no new 2G

I asked him why he doesn't upgrade and he said he likes this one and upgrading is just not worth the money?

I nearly fell off the bar stool, why curse the speed of something and then when you have the opportunity to get a faster one, you say Na I am content with this older phone????

So if you have a 2G why haven't you upgraded????

I would really like to know because the 2G is very old now....
Wow, amazing, people still use perfectly functional technology that's more than a year old! I know, it's shocking that some people don't need to drop $500 on a new phone every year or (gasp) have different priorities than you. Do you also feel superior that your car is newer that other ones on the road?
Interstella5555 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:48 PM   #20
iTunes-Luv
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
 
Send a message via Yahoo to iTunes-Luv Send a message via Skype™ to iTunes-Luv
I still have my 2G without a data plan on my family plan. I only use it with Wifi in house. I don't think speed is not an issue on Wifi.

It's a great back up phone for travel or for foreign relative to use temporarily
iTunes-Luv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:01 PM   #21
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040
 
Anonymous Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cascadia
If you don't have a need to use newer apps that require a newer OS than it will run, and don't use a lot of data on the go, it's still a GREAT phone/media device.

Just remember: A device will always do well what it did well when it was brand new. If you just need a voice phone, and want on-the-go media consumption (iPod features,) with the Internet access thrown in as a bonus, the original iPhone is still a good device.
__________________

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:52 PM   #22
Apple 26.2
macrumors 6502a
 
Apple 26.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Cuz it's stable, reliable and built like a tank... I miss mine sometimes!
__________________
Hello, I'm a
Apple 26.2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:54 PM   #23
JD914
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dutchess County NY
Some people are just reluctant to upgrade and will stay on a single device for years, they are called Dinosaurs.

Weather you want to admit it or not, there is absolutely no justification to stay on the original iPhone.
JD914 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:05 PM   #24
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
Some people are just reluctant to upgrade and will stay on a single device for years, they are called Dinosaurs.

Weather you want to admit it or not, there is absolutely no justification to stay on the original iPhone.
Whether you want to admit it, you're completely wrong. Don't you hate Apple products anyway?
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:10 PM   #25
JD914
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dutchess County NY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Whether you want to admit it, you're completely wrong. Don't you hate Apple products anyway?
JD914 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Original iPhone someone28624 iPhone 32 Oct 18, 2012 03:02 PM
Using iPhone 4 sims on original iPhone and dumb phone historyteacher iPhone 1 Aug 6, 2012 07:39 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps