Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merlin005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2004
When trying to copy a large file to an MS -DOS formatted drive there seems to be a 4 GB limit to the allowable file size. Is there a way of overcoming this limit. or does anyone have a work around, other than breaking up the file into smaller chunks. Thanks

Merlin

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Merlin005 said:
When trying to copy a large file to an MS -DOS formatted drive there seems to be a 4 GB limit to the allowable file size. Is there a way of overcoming this limit. or does anyone have a work around, other than breaking up the file into smaller chunks. Thanks

Merlin

The 4GB is a limit of FAT-32, and is not present in NTFS. Unfortunately, I do not believe you can mount and write NTFS on OS X. So, the only option I can think of is reformatting the disk to NTFS, mounting it on a Windows machine, and then doing things over a network.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Stuffit Deluxe 9 has a feature to split an archive across multiple segment sizes of your choice. I have been very happy with this program. I was surprised FAT32 allows up to 4GB files. I would have thought it would be limited to 2GB files. I have forced all my PCs to use the Mac filesystem by installing a Addon program that allows Windows to read Mac filesystems.

Stuffit Deluxe 9 Link:
http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/index.html

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
BornAgainMac said:
Stuffit Deluxe 9 has a feature to split an archive across multiple segment sizes of your choice. I have been very happy with this program. I was surprised FAT32 allows up to 4GB files. I would have thought it would be limited to 2GB files. I have forced all my PCs to use the Mac filesystem by installing a Addon program that allows Windows to read Mac filesystems.

Stuffit Deluxe 9 Link:
http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/index.html

FAT32, as the name would indicate, uses (unsigned) 32 bit data structures to point to data. 2^32 ~= 4 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.