Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Hi there,

I have to buy an adjustable 35mm camera for a photography class, and I don't know very much about the 35mm cameras.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a good, yet inexpensive, camera to consider?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Buy a secondhand Canon or Nikon camera.
In the UK you can get a good condition Canon A1 and a 50mm lens (with a few months warranty) for around £80.
I have an A1 that's 26 years old and still going strong, and it's been dropped a couple of times.
My Canon AE1 recently died at the age of 28 though, but it was much more abused than the A1.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Canon EOS Rebel Ti. The Canon system is the best and the Rebel Ti is the cheapest you can get with depth of field preview (you'll learn what it is it's really nice). I have a Rebel Ti and an Elan 7 and would recommend either one but the Ti is cheaper.

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
I'd go with a new Canon EOS system because the lenses you get now will be compatible with digital SLRs down the road. I have a Canon TiII and it came with an f/3.5-5.6 28-80mm lens which is great because it can shoot at wide/normal/telephoto lengths. I'm not sure about the cheaper Rebels, but the TiII has DOF preview, multiple exposures (which is almost impossible on entry level Nikons), and ISO override. All for $300.

Old SLRs aren't bad though. They're lighter, cheaper, and come with 50mm lens that open up to f/1.8-2.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
el greenerino said:
Old SLRs aren't bad though. They're lighter, cheaper, and come with 50mm lens that open up to f/1.8-2.
Find me 20+ year old SLR that weighs less than my Rebel 2000 (12 ounces) ;) I also recommend a Rebel, either a used 2000 or a new Ti. I'd sell you mine, but that would leave me with a Seagull TLR and a rather old Minolta SRT 101 (my father got one of the same model in the mid 70's :eek: ), and nothing with the features (or lens mount ;)) of an EOS camera. That, and I wouldn't have the money for a 20D if I did sell it to you ;)

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Find me 20+ year old SLR that weighs less than my Rebel 2000 (12 ounces)

You're right, I should've said less bulky instead of lighter. I had an 18 yr old Olympus OM-10 and I was amazed at how much lighter my Rebel was when I first handled it.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
I have a Canon AE-1 as well -- if you don't mind manual focus (auto exposure is present, though) and can find one in decent condition for a good price they're fairly good, as I assume are Canon's more recent film SLRs though of course an AE-1 can be had for cheaper.

believo

macrumors regular
May 21, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
definitely get an old camera WITHOUT automatic settings. You DO NOT use those features in college or professional photography, they're really more for point and shoot snapshot situations. If you get a camera without these features it will lower the price. Nikons and Minoltas are good. A lot of people I know dislike Canons but I have one and have yet to have a problem.
hope that helps

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
well, first off, how much are you willing to spend?
second, do you want point and shoot or SLR?
If point and shoot, do you want a large zoom?

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
DanTekGeek said:
well, first off, how much are you willing to spend?
second, do you want point and shoot or SLR?
If point and shoot, do you want a large zoom?

He said adjustable, which for most practical purposes implies SLR.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
believo said:
definitely get an old camera WITHOUT automatic settings. You DO NOT use those features in college or professional photography, they're really more for point and shoot snapshot situations. If you get a camera without these features it will lower the price. Nikons and Minoltas are good. A lot of people I know dislike Canons but I have one and have yet to have a problem.
hope that helps

Agree on minolta; disagree on features. Get a Maxxum 5 or Maxxum 50 (or Dynax for europeans). Great feature set--it's the mac of cameras.

I'd still get a camera with automatic stuff, but then shut it off for class. It's still nice to have in other situations, assuming you keep taking pictures.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
My vote is with an old camera

Reasons:

1) older cameras are generally more durable.
2) older cost less
3) the standard lenses on Canon A-1, K1000/Sp500 and others (usually a 50mm/1.4 - 1.7) are much better lenses than the 35 - 70 mm found on most newer camera packages (unless you want to break the bank)
4) you are taking a photograhy class to learn how to shoot properly in MANUAL modes, all the auto features on a newer camera will be more of hinderance than a benefit.
5) older cameras are cheaper to repair if you happen to drop / or otherwise damage your camera.

Recommendation (from my experience, by no means an extensive list and in no particular order)

1) Canon A1 or AE1
2) Pentax K1000 (the standard for tough barebones SLRs in schools everywhere, look for one with a metal rewind knob, they are generally the better of the K1000s)
3) Pentax SP500 (the predecessor to the K1000, about 35 years old)
4) Minolta X700 (or a older X370: the new ones have alot more plastic parts)
5) Minolta XG1

So I don't offend anyone, there are lots of good older Nikons out there to, but I don't have much experience with them so there are none on my list.

Stick with the big four: Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Minolta and you will have a easier time finding used lenses down the road.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
The Nikon FM10 is a popular choice with teachers for students. It forces you to look at what you are doing. Pentax also offers a model with a 50mm lens at the same price point - the 50mm is the preferred lens from many instructors,

el greenerino

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Since this is an old post...

What did you get? What kind of lens? I just got a 50mm f1.4 EF lens, it's beautiful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.