Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Punani

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm just a little curious as to why DVD Player doesn't include DTS support. With VideoLAN's temporary pulling of its DTS support following some alleged patent infringement by DTS, I suspect either DTS doesn't like to license its codecs except a select few, or has rather heavy licensing fees.

Either way with somewhat random support (Its only available on 2 DVD players for Windows) available for it, does DTS really sound any better than Dolby? I know consensus on this is almost never reached, but I'm just curious what you guys think.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
DTS does sound better than Dolby. It is superior. Except in certain implementations.

Ah Playstation 2... It is incredible how much you can suck, and still be popular. Like Windows in that respect...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
DTS runs a much higher bit-rate than AC3, and is consequently much less compressed, but does put a higher load on the overall bit-rate of a DVD.

In our tests it yields a significantly better subjective sound quality as well as reporting a better frequency response and dynamic range.

On the downside, you're right, the license fees are steep, and finding DTS encoders is a bit of a chore, especially when Apple give away perfectly good AC3 encoders free with FCP.

Currently the best DTS encoders are still hardware based, but there is a plug-in suite for ProTools etc.

Most hardware DVD players now support the DTS format, as does the Apple DVD Player through the G5's optical output, and my PS2 will deliver DTS to a domestic (Sony) surround amp well enough.

If I have a choice I'll always use DTS over Dolb AC3.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
DTS Rocks!

I, too, have to agree that, IMO, DTS sounds better. When I need to prove it, I play the opening naval assault from Master And Commander first with regular Dolby Digital and then once again with DTS. The difference is quite noticeable (to me, and to those whom I've subjected this test). In DTS, I can almost swear my house really is under attack!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.