Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
Hi guys-

This seems like something relatively simple to do, but cannot seem to figure out the best way to recreate the attached graphic. My goal is to have the black background as a separate layer. Any ideas?

I've tried brushing individual streaks, and then apply layer mask. Very time confusing and tough to get similar results.

How is a graphic like this created in the first place?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks-

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-12 at 11.16.31 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-08-12 at 11.16.31 AM.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 98

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hi guys-

This seems like something relatively simple to do, but cannot seem to figure out the best way to recreate the attached graphic. My goal is to have the black background as a separate layer. Any ideas?

I've tried brushing individual streaks, and then apply layer mask. Very time confusing and tough to get similar results.

How is a graphic like this created in the first place?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks-

Looks like use of the filter "blur" > "motion blur"... and a gradient...just create the lines you are blurring on a separate/new layer.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
I would do something like...

make a gradient background
Filter>Stylyze>Extrude (set the block size pretty low)
Motion Blur at 90 degrees
Play with levels
Burn, Dodge, Draw some black in to make it seem uneven

something like that.

-je

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2007
Toronto
This tutorial should work, it's the same general concept. Obviously use a straight, thicker line and you will need to exaggerate/tweak the filters/settings to your own liking.

Don't forget to flip your line from horizontal to vertical because the wind filter can only blast from the left OR right not up or down, then flip your line back to horizontal once the wind filter is applied. Finish off by applying a gradient overlay.

light12.jpg

Tutorial:
http://www.newtutorials.com/northern-lights-tutorial.htm

supabooma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2006
I don't know why I didn't think of motion blur. Such an obvious solution!

Bluetooth thanks for the tutorial too.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.