Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppelGek

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
USA
Anybody know if it's possible to hide labels (names under icons) without using WinterBoard, and if so to do it selectively ?

My iPhone 4 is (obviously) Jailbroken...

Thanks.

PlanetRed

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I used iFile and navigated to /private/var/stash/Applications/InsertAppHere. Then opened Info.plist and under the key "CFBundleDisplayName" changed the string from the app name displayed to blank. Only problem was apple native apps like Mail, Safari, Phone, etc I had to change the Display Name in Info.plist as well as in /private/var/stash/Applications/InsertAppHere/English.lproj there is a file located there named InfoPlist.strings (for example) just replace the app display name with blank.

This is the method I used to get my dock icons label free without winterboard.
photo-4.png

tom2847

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
How did you change the badges to look like that without Winterboard? Can you post a link to those icons also? I think the phone icon is like Classica or something?

PlanetRed

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
How did you change the badges to look like that without Winterboard? Can you post a link to those icons also? I think the phone icon is like Classica or something?
Just head over to Macthemes.net they have threads for the classica icons as well as the badge I am using. As far as changing the badge w/o WB..

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app the badge icon is named SBBadgeBG@2x. Should go without saying but you never know; backup the original file before dropping in the new.

Abby6497

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Ashland, Ohio
Just head over to Macthemes.net they have threads for the classica icons as well as the badge I am using. As far as changing the badge w/o WB..

Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app the badge icon is named SBBadgeBG@2x. Should go without saying but you never know; backup the original file before dropping in the new.

Do you back up your files using iTunes or another program? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have only every backed up my phone using iTunes I just jailbroke it.

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
I posted this question the other day but didn't find any answers. Bosspaper removes labels, but it's buggy. And I've read that Categories has an option to do it, and maybe Boss Prefs too, but I haven't tried these or know their compatibility with ios4. I wish they'd make a simple standalone app that just removes labels because that's all Im using winterboard for.

PlanetRed

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah an "app for that" would be nice. The method I posted above is very time consuming.

AtlasWept

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Do you back up your files using iTunes or another program? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I have only every backed up my phone using iTunes I just jailbroke it.

Check out iFile for the iPhone (found on Cydia) and iPhone browser for Windows (Google it). Read as much as you can about them. They can either be very useful to someone who has taken the time to read up on them or they can cause a lot of heartache to someone who is ignorant and lazy...

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. I learned the hard way. What PlanetRed said is all too true...

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
Bosspaper will allow you to turn off names.
No winterboard required.

Just make sure all transitions are off and enable under winterboard is selected.

Abby6497

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Ashland, Ohio
Check out iFile for the iPhone (found on Cydia) and iPhone browser for Windows (Google it). Read as much as you can about them. They can either be very useful to someone who has taken the time to read up on them or they can cause a lot of heartache to someone who is ignorant and lazy...

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP. I learned the hard way. What PlanetRed said is all too true...

Ok I have iFile installed on my phone and I have messed around with it. So far to enable backgrounds and battery percentage. I have a 3G. And I just downloaded iPhone Explorer I have not looked at this yet. My mom and my sister and my little girl all use our ipods and iphones on the same computer so I was worried that if one of them hooked theirs up it would open the iPhone Explorer and they might mess up their device. Does it open as soon as you connect your device?

AppelGek

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
USA
maybe i'll try Bosspaper but i'm intrigued by post#2 (thanks PlanetRed), since i kinda decided i want labels off on icons but on for folders.

did a quick glance with iFile last night (it was late) and did not see all apps listed...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I used iFile and navigated to /private/var/stash/Applications/InsertAppHere. Then opened Info.plist and under the key "CFBundleDisplayName" changed the string from the app name displayed to blank. Only problem was apple native apps like Mail, Safari, Phone, etc I had to change the Display Name in Info.plist as well as in /private/var/stash/Applications/InsertAppHere/English.lproj there is a file located there named InfoPlist.strings (for example) just replace the app display name with blank.

This is the method I used to get my dock icons label free without winterboard.
photo-4.png

not seeing the file name (ie "Phone" in the English.lproj folder plist). am i missing something?

PlanetRed

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
not seeing the file name (ie "Phone" in the English.lproj folder plist). am i missing something?

You are looking for the file named InfoPlist.strings in the English.lproj dir. Inside of that file is where you blank out the app name for the native apps. Where it says "CFBundleDisplayName" = "App name"; just blank out the app name.

photo-5.png

photo1-3.png

AppelGek

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
USA
you're a great help PlanetRed.. tks.

(ps. what font do you use for the calendar icon ? care to share ?)

AtlasWept

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
You are looking for the file named InfoPlist.strings in the English.lproj dir. Inside of that file is where you blank out the app name for the native apps. Where it says "CFBundleDisplayName" = "App name"; just blank out the app name.

How about the 'Photos' app and 'iPod' app name? I do not believe you can change/delete these app names in iOS 4.0.1... Or they are incredibly hidden/buried.

Anyone with any ideas???

PlanetRed

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Well there has to be a way to remove the label it's just a matter of finding the right string to delete. I have not found it yet..

TechJunky

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2008
maybe i'll try Bosspaper but i'm intrigued by post#2 (thanks PlanetRed), since i kinda decided i want labels off on icons but on for folders.

did a quick glance with iFile last night (it was late) and did not see all apps listed...

Bosspaper is ideal. IMO, it would be WAY too time consuming to manually delete all the app labels. And every time you get a new app, you would have to fix it. It's designed to be less resource intensive than Winterboard and has other options like changing the dock too. I used it on my old 3G and never had a problem. My problem with it now is that it forces you to use its implementation of applying wallpaper, which is a pita...but I could get over it, except there's a visual bug when opening folders. There is a fix for this, but it involves using Winterboard so that defeats the purpose.

So for now I'm using Winterboard in hopes they keep updating it and fix a few bugs....unless they come out with a standalone "remove labels" app.

moviemaker1138

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
In Cydia there is a new tweak called ICON RENAMER.

After install, you simple hold on any icon until it wiggles and then tap again.

A window pops up allowing you to rename the icon or you can just leave it blank and viola!

No need for Winterboard, Bosspaper, or messing with plists.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I was searching last night for a tweak that would remove icon names in the dock and found the Icon Renamer tweak as well which is actually even better since it gives you more options than what I was trying to do. Love the price also, free.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
A trick I learned from Fantasigraphic, a member here, is to add this to an info.plist file located in your theme's folder.

<key>UndockedIconLabelStyle</key>
<string>color: transparent; font-size: 0;</string>
<key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
<string>color: transparent; font-size: 0;</string>

It works for stock and third party apps.

If your theme doesn't have an info.plist file here's one you can use. Place the unzipped .plist in a theme's root folder where the Bundles, UIImages, etc, are.

If you ever want to turn it off you can either SSH and remove/rename it or do the same with iFile.

Attachments

• info.plist.zip
    771 bytes · Views: 115
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.