Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1
jayeskreezy
macrumors 65816

Best way to FULLY DELETE a program?

I have a trial of the Adobe Suite on my computer that I want to fully delete. I know Adobe leaves residuals in your library and system files sometimes even after you go and delete it. Is there a Mac app that fully deletes programs?
jayeskreezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:23 AM   #2
DaveAmbler
macrumors newbie

I personally use http://appzapper.com/ and it works great!
DaveAmbler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

You can use apps like AppCleaner and AppZapper, but even they don't delete everything. They mostly only delete the .plist files that contain your user preferences for the apps, in case you ever want to reinstall them. These are very small text files and don't eat up much space anyway. What those apps leave behind are frequently much bigger files, typically located in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/
/Users/username/Library/Caches/
/Users/username/Library/Logs/
etc.
There is no app that removes everything. Even an app's uninstaller will leave things behind. If you want it all gone, manual deletion is the only way.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:10 PM   #4
munkery
macrumors 68020

There is a new app called TrashMe that works like AppCleaner but has better detection rates.

http://trashme.jibapps.com/
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkery View Post
There is a new app called TrashMe that works like AppCleaner but has better detection rates.

http://trashme.jibapps.com/
It's Snow Leopard only. Won't run on Leopard, so I can't test it. I'd be interested to see someone test to see if it detects things left by other apps, as described in my previous post.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:19 PM   #6
jon08
macrumors 65816

I still recommend AppDelete as a more effective app than AppZapper or AppCleaner, but as GGJStudios suggested: if you really want every single bit of an app gone, your best bet is manually deleting it.

For that I suggest you download EasyFind, which will help you track all the files you want to look for...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11076/easyfind
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:04 PM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

I just tested a few of these, using Skype.app as the file to be deleted.

AppZapper found 4 items
AppCleaner found 6 items
AppDelete found 9 items
EasyFind found 16 items
Finder found 17 items
GGJstudios is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:15 PM   #8
munkery
macrumors 68020

Just for those interested, I compared AppDelete to TrashMe. They almost always found the same related items. The only exception was TrashMe found 1 more item related to NeoOffice.

How do you find so many items with Finder? Do you manually navigate various folders looking for files? Do you do a specific kind of search? I am unable to find that many using finder.

I do agree using finder is the most thorough way.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 01:58 AM   #9
flottenheimer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
You can use apps like AppCleaner and AppZapper, but even they don't delete everything. They mostly only delete the .plist files that contain your user preferences for the apps, in case you ever want to reinstall them. These are very small text files and don't eat up much space anyway. What those apps leave behind are frequently much bigger files, typically located in the following folders:
/Users/username/Library/Application Support/
/Users/username/Library/Caches/
/Users/username/Library/Logs/
etc.
There is no app that removes everything. Even an app's uninstaller will leave things behind. If you want it all gone, manual deletion is the only way.
I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 09:27 AM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
I use AppCleaner. During the the last year of so, I guess I've uninstalled at least 20-30 apps with it. I just checked the folders you suggested and happened to find remains from only 1 of all those apps. So I guess AppCleaner is doing a pretty good job.
When you search for app-related files, be sure you've included "System files" > "are included" in your search criteria, or they won't show up. Those 4 folders aren't the only places app-related files could be. Also, it depends on what kind of app is being deleted. Some simpler apps may only have the .app file and the .plist file, which removal apps will find. Many apps have a large number of associated files which may be in a variety of locations, which is where app removal software falls short. Even if they leave files behind, if you're happy with their results, that's what matters, as long as you're aware that such apps aren't completely effective.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:53 AM   #11
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeskreezy View Post
I have a trial of the Adobe Suite on my computer that I want to fully delete. I know Adobe leaves residuals in your library and system files sometimes even after you go and delete it. Is there a Mac app that fully deletes programs?

Oldish thread but I'd like to stress that there are two questions here:

One, how to fully remove Adobe Creative Suite apps and all their traces. Two, how to remove apps generally. I'll concentrate on the first as no manual method will root out all their pesky files.

To fully remove Creative Suite apps, whether they're trials or working versions, run Adobe CS Clean Scripts or Cleaners.

CS5 Clean Script

Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:35 AM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
But do all apps have files with the app name in them??
If, for example, an app has a file that does not have the app name in it, you obviously wouldnt find it in a search......or is it common for apps on the MAC platform to have the app name in every file it creates?
It is possible that some files/folders associated with an app may not have the app name in them, or may have a variation or only part of the app's name. That's why step 7 in my post suggests searching by date, kind, etc. to help identify the files that were installed at the same time that the app was installed, or have other characteristics that identify app components.. Using the manual method, it's still possible to miss something, but it's a much more thorough method than any of the gener app removal software available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
One, how to fully remove Adobe Creative Suite apps and all their traces. Two, how to remove apps generally. I'll concentrate on the first as no manual method will root out all their pesky files.
You're right. The manual method described in this thread is for removal of most apps. As I mentioned to Ifti, it isn't 100% guaranteed to work in every situation.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Dec 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Adomian
macrumors newbie

The uninstallers should do the trick. In my experience, if you run the uninstaller for the main program it will remove Bridge and all of the other extras.
Adomian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 04:02 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adomian View Post
The uninstallers should do the trick. In my experience, if you run the uninstaller for the main program it will remove Bridge and all of the other extras.
Apparently, you haven't read the thread before posting. As has already been stated, uninstallers don't do a thorough job of removing all app-related files. They sometimes leave behind more than they remove.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store