Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2010
Unfortunately I seem to have broken the cable to the top case (keyboard and trackpad) of my older black MacBook 4,1 A1181 :(

A top case from another black MacBook works immediately on the machine, so I know the error is found and I need the top case fixed now.

Do you know if it's possible to fix/replace that cable, or do I need to buy a whole new topcase with both keyboard and trackpad?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
The ribbon cable is pretty fragile but there is no need to buy the whole topcase - you should be able to find the correct cable on eBay for around $10 or so..

holsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2010
The ribbon cable is pretty fragile but there is no need to buy the whole topcase - you should be able to find the correct cable on eBay for around $10 or so..

Interesting. I've found some now ("macbook a1181 keyboard cable" on eBay for $15).

The cable seems to go in under the trackpad where I don't know how it's connected. Can you confirm that you can get in there, and that it has a connector and is not hard wired to the top case? Just to be sure I can replace it myself.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It is fairly easy to replace - under the trackpad area there is a gray oval cover - just peel back the top and you will see the cable and the connection. Flip up the little clamp (opposite end to where the cable goes in) and remove the old cable. The cable is usually stuck with adhesive along the last half-inch or so.

Easiest method is to start at the logicboard connection end and remove the strip of clear tape and then lift up the cable from the back of the topcase. You don't need to be too careful since it is broken anyway.....

Slide the new cable into the connector, push the little lock back down and then check that it all works before you stick a new piece of tape onto the cable.

It is pretty straightforward.

holsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2010
It is fairly easy to replace - under the trackpad area there is a gray oval cover - just peel back the top and you will see the cable and the connection. Flip up the little clamp (opposite end to where the cable goes in) and remove the old cable. The cable is usually stuck with adhesive along the last half-inch or so.

Easiest method is to start at the logicboard connection end and remove the strip of clear tape and then lift up the cable from the back of the topcase. You don't need to be too careful since it is broken anyway.....

Slide the new cable into the connector, push the little lock back down and then check that it all works before you stick a new piece of tape onto the cable.

It is pretty straightforward.

Just the info I needed. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.