Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serendib

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I uploaded my DVD via Mac the Ripper and am now wanting to convert my VOB files with Handbrake so I can edit in Final Cut Express.

I open up my Handbrake, set the source to the VOB file, with an AVI output format (I've also tried MP4). At the bottom of the application, the "Encoding:pass 1 of 1, 100.00%" bar fills all the way. I click on "Show Queue" and it says "0 encode(s) pending, Encoding: pass 1 of 1, 100.00%". But the icon by the file is a spinning orange circle, indicating that something is still happening/the conversion is not complete.

I left my computer open and on 24 hours and it still had not completed one file. HELP!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I can't help you with that specific problem, but maybe have a look at the Handbrake forum.

What I want to tell you, .avi and .mp4 files, especially ones with the Divx / Xvid or H264 codec, which are all MPEG-4 codecs, are not meant for video editing. Handbrake even states in its FAQ.
It is better to use MPEG Streamclip and the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component for Mac OS X to transcode MPEG-2 encoded .vob files to .mov files either using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec, as they are meant for editing and won't force FCE/P to render the timeline all the time.

If you use you will find plenty of threads on how to get DVD video into an editing application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.