Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hey guys I have a Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz, 2 gig of Ram and Final Cut Pro 5. I have previous experience and Premiere and the obvious pitfall for me now is the rendering of video when trying to edit(I tried switching to unlimited RT and still craps out)

I was wondering what would be a good codec to encode video to edit. I know ProRes 422 was develop after this Final Cut version so is their an equivalent that editors used to use for Final Cut 5? Or can I download and use the ProRes 422 for Final Cut 5? :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Is your footage (video clips) in SD? If so, the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) should more than suffice. If it is HD, you can also try AIC.

What is the source of your footage?

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Is your footage (video clips) in SD? If so, the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) should more than suffice. If it is HD, you can also try AIC.

What is the source of your footage?

Its just SD mini dv. So the AIC is a pretty standard codec editors use?

I had another question ,,,Lets say I where to get Final Cut 7(on a new Mac obviously). Would I use Pro Res422 to encode SD as well or is that just used for HD?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Its just SD mini dv. So the AIC is a pretty standard codec editors use?

I had another question ,,,Lets say I where to get Final Cut 7(on a new Mac obviously). Would I use Pro Res422 to encode SD as well or is that just used for HD?

Read the manual of FCP 5 and 7 to get to know the codecs.

If all you have is miniDV footage, ProRes is over, over, over the top, just use the DV codec, or AIC if you want.
ProRes is for SD and HD footage, but footage that comes from less compressive sources, even though AVCHD footage is sometimes converted to ProRes in order to have a better workflow.

ProRes and AIC are FCP codecs, AIC and DV is also available in FCE and iMovie. Other editing applications use other formats and codecs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.