Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bozola

macrumors regular
Original poster
Given the price tag of $500 to $829, I wonder what the life expectancy of the device will be or should be. I hope to have mine for at least 3 years before I think of replacing it.

What is your life expectancy for your iPad?

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Remember that a computer, any computer, is not an investment. Technology changes faster than a device is "worth", so the life expectancy of any device is however long its user can use it for its intended purpose.

I would say that my Apple IIes have not reached their life expectancies because I'm still able to use them for their original intended purpose, even if they're no longer my primary machines.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
When you say "life expectancy" do you mean how long the device will function as designed before it breaks or how long it will be before its obsolete?

I think the iPad will work for about 4 years before battery degradation renders it useless. However, I think it will be largely obsolete in about 2 years when models are released that connect to 4G services and have features that make them more like computers and less like giant iPod touches.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
It's a good question even so. I think it also depends on the persons perception of "Life Expectancy" So some it could be longer than others. I recall this question being asked about the iPhone and many seemed to have very different views.

For me or my uses I'm looking at 1 year minimum and no longer than 2 years.
As mentioned above technology moves fast and I would not be happy past that 2 year mark b/c the newer model would offer enough more for me to like it.

I've tired to set my time lines up before buying in order to be able to plan ahead a little bit.

So it's a difficult question and may vary for each person.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
This is really difficult to answer. I would like for it to last me two or three years, but it will really depends on what the new features are in the future models and whether they are something I NEED. :)

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Two years. Will skip 2nd gen and wait for 3rd. I can't afford to spend 650 dollars on what essentially is a computer every year.

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I hope to get two years out of mine. Most likely scenario is - if the next gen is a compelling enough upgrade - I'll be buying a replacement and 'hand-me'downing' this one to my wife or one of my employees.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
3 years !!! :D

No way.

If we all see iPad Mk2 for sale in 18 to 24 months, I can't see anyone here, thinking, no, I don't think I'll bother.

Remember, it will be at least twice as "shiny" that our current model ;)

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
...iPad Mk2 for sale in 18 to 24 months...

Going by Apple's current schema, the second iPad will be out only a year from the launch of the original. Apple's mobile devices generally get an update at the same time every year.

iPods: September
iPhone: June
iPad: Marchish, then

Pushkar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
SW London, UK
Well for what it is, it can last for a very very long time, Apple will replace your Battery so it can last for as much as you need the device. For browsing the web, reading eBooks, you're pretty much sorted.

However i'd expect a product cycle like the iPhone and alot of the other products Apple has, updates every year. Next Year we might see a faster processor, The Camera, Possibly 4G connectively depending on how fast networks expand, but what other things can you add? Not alot.

For alot of people, it will last for years and years - but Apple will continue to release faster devices, with some addons and make certain apps obsolete thus 'forcing' you to upgrade.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
It really depends. I figure on keeping mine 2 years. If the resale value is high enough, I may trade mine in if the next upgrade is compelling enough.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I think Im looking at less than a year. I'm starting to get a little upset at the lack of memory on the thing. Multitasking on the ipad is sketchy at best right now due to the lack of memory. If you open atomic with a couple of tabs, you can all but guarantee the program that you had open before will shut to free memory. 2nd Gen will fix that probably. Of course OS4 might fix it as well.

mrcc

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
It depends on u? My I touch is almost two years old now. I keep on keeping it until it dies. After spending $ 699. I hope to keep this for quite a few years. I'm not in a rush to get the new iPad. Unless it dies tomorrow. But I plan to keep it fo r maybe four years.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I got my first "dent" on the back of my iPad. I have NO CLUE how it got there, as I have not dropped it. All I can guess is that my briefcase got hit somewhere, and the impact somehow got all the way through the case pocket and THICK leather case.

It kinda gives my iPad a little "character"... :cool:

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
How long was the original iPod still usable? It got replaced every year by smaller and thinner and cooler iPods, but that original iPod still did the job for years.

I expect the same with iPads.

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
I never really thought about this. I personally won't have this iPad I'm using now in 3 or 4 years simply because there will be a product refresh. If the iPad is like most apple devices, and don't see why it should be any different, you'll be able to get a decent price for it in a year or so should you decide to sell and upgrade...

Streethawk

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2010
Manchester, UK
I'll keep it until gen 2, then upgrade. So probably a year. No idea what resale value will be, don't care too much. I can afford to upgrade each year, so I will.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Given the price tag of $500 to $829, I wonder what the life expectancy of the device will be or should be. I hope to have mine for at least 3 years before I think of replacing it.

What is your life expectancy for your iPad?

The battery should last about four or five years. When it's no good anymore, apparently you are supposed to send in your iPad + $99 and get a new (refurbished?) iPad with a fresh battery. There are no moveable parts in it, so it should last for ages. Probably a good idea to handle the connectors carefully, but apart from that it should keep working for many years.

(I think Apple's plan with the battery replacement is that if your battery stops working in five years time, there will be a new iPad out that is so much better that you just buy a new one instead of paying $99 for a new battery, and _if_ you pay $99 for a new battery then the base model in five years time will be so cheap that they can build a new iPad for $99).

Chimera-se

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2010
I'll keep it until gen 2, then upgrade. So probably a year. No idea what resale value will be, don't care too much. I can afford to upgrade each year, so I will.

Same here, but for an electronic device they seem to hold their value well. You still see 3G iPhones being sold on eBay... I'm not even thinking about what the next iPad will be like, though. This one is pretty great:D

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Three years - I have Applecare.

AppleCare for ipad is only for 2 years.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S3791LL/A

that's 2 years from date of purchase.

In my opinion $99 for Applecare not worth it since Amex/visa/MasterCard all usually double the warranty for free and they will reimburse you if you keep your credit card statements, have receipt, and copy of repair bill. I did this for AppleTv. Got reimbursed $169 for AppleTv.

As for how long ipad will stay current. Apple will support for probably 3 years but full usablility will probably be 2 years for most users.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
3 years for the hardware, 2 years for full support of all apps (except video calling. only one year there;))

after 2 years developers will move on and expect you to have a faster processor and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.